Thread: Electric Fireplaces

Electric Fireplaces

Anybody have any experience with these?

I'm interested in putting one in a downstair bedroom for a little extra heat at night and a nice decorative touch. But how well do they heat? I'd be selecting a 5k BTU unit for a 225sq/ft room.

Re: Electric Fireplaces

Electric fireplaces are essentially 100% efficient at converting electricity to an equivalent quantity of heat energy. They are one of the (if not THE) most expensive heat sources to operate unless you are in a region of cheap electricity (lots of hydroelectric nearby or whatever.) If you are at all concerned with your utility bill you would be better served to find another means of supplemental heat, especially if it will see much run time.

Some people go with kerosene heaters but I don't like liquid fueld tipable smelly dangerous heaters. Some people go with vent free fireplaces that burn natural gas or propane. I don't like them and they are illegal in some states.

DIRECT VENT gas log fireplaces are as convenient to operate as an electric fireplace, look nice, work nice, and have features that recommend them above other options.

Among the pluses you have:
    1. does not compete with room occupants for available oxygen and they don't stink
    2. does not irritate asthma sufferers
    3. Looks very realistic
    4. can be fitted with a fan for circulation but a ceiling fan will serve the purpose nicely and be quieter (fan not required at all just prevents stratification, cold feet-hot head.)
    5. Works as backup heat source in case of electrical outage
    6. needs no commercial electricity to operate
    7. will work with thermostat and or timers

I have 4 of these. Three are decorative cast iron parlor stoves with mineral glass fronts so you can watch the fire dance around the realistic ceramic logs. One is a large living room style fireplace with mantle and plenty of decorative appeal.

From a pure efficiency standpoint it is hard to beat a high SEER heatpump when outside temps are above freezing but they are NOT a fashion statement!

Electric will be easier to install (maybe) depending on availability of a way to run the dedicated circuit from a breaker (best way.) You can run it plugged into a regular outlet. You are talking about 12-13 amps and available outlets are likely either on a 15 or 20 amp circuit. When the electric fireplace is running BE CAREFUL what else you have on that same circuit.

A kilowatt hour is 3413 Btu so your 5K Btu is 1.465 Kw. IF you are paying $0.14 per Kwh then it will cost you a bit over 20 cents an hour to run it.

If this is the only heat source for this space and there is one or more external walls and maybe windows too and you are in a cold climate you will not get enough heat unless you have way above average insulation. This is especially true if the ceiling is higher than standard.

Unless you are an Eskimo there won't be any "lightly clothed" romantic moments in front of the fireplace because your chill bumps would have chill bumps.

If you turn your central heat down or off overnight then a little supplemental heat for a guest bedroom is a good use of a small electric fireplace, especially if the space isn't occupied all the time.

Pat

"I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"