Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2002 Tahoe

2002 Tahoe

I have a 2002 Tahoe with aprox 65K miles. I was wondering hard it is to replace the "in cab" air filter on my tahoe? And there is a bumping sound (and I can feel it too) inside the steering wheel while driving at low speeds and across small bumps, any suggestions? Thanks! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: 2002 Tahoe

Can't help with the air filter but could suggest going to a local Library and seeing if they have any books showing repairs for your vehicle. They may even be able to order in specific books.

On the bumping sound a visit to a front end shop may be in order. They could check it out and make sure all is proper.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I agree with Egon that the local library should have repair manuals, but I also think there's a good chance your local dealer's service writer would tell you how if you just asked. There's also the chance that the owner's manual tells you. We have a 2001 Ford Windstar with 87k miles on it. It's the first vehicle I've owned that had a "cabin air filter". I had let the dealer change it once when they were doing some other service and told me it needed changing; however, I changed it myself a couple of weeks ago and saved several dollars. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] On this Windstar, it's a 2 minute job; raise the hood, open the little compartment just top right side of firewall, pull old filter out, insert new filter, put cover back on compartment, and close the hood. I haven't looked at the Tahoe, but I'll bet it's similar.

I haven't had much luck with my local library on vehicle/model year specific stuff. I've had better luck using internet searches. There are many vehicle forums and sometimes you get lucky and hit someone's website who has done the same job you need to do and has pictures and detailed instructions posted. For example, I found a guy's website that posted instructions and pictures on how to change a window regulator motor on a Grand Prix when mine went kaput. You also will find parts online that are usually cheaper than the local parts dealer (if you can wait for shipping). Sometimes it's not worth it but at least you'll have the satisfaction of knowing what the benchmark price is. For instance, local parts store (not the OEM dealer) quoted $140 per injector for my car. Can get them online for $60-90. I googled your situation and found several places that may help you. Good luck.
    Jerry

Have changed the filter in my Silverado - though I need to.

As far as the bump in the steering column I've complained about that since day 1. There is a way you can take it apart and lube it that seems to fix it for awhile. There is also a replacement shaft available that supposedly takes car of this problem. FullSizeChevy They can answer about any question you have over there.

Don't know about the filter, but the "bump" is apparently common. Mom has a 2002 'burb that does that and we have a 2000 shop truck at work that does it. On both vehicles if I get under it and have someone move the steering wheel I can see a little slack in the draglink that goes from the steering box to the tie rods. I don't know if it has to do w/ something GM did to get the turning radius down or what but I have noticed on a couple of other 1999 - 2002 trucks as well.

As far as the filter is concerned, I happened to remember something else and looked up my records. It was a little longer ago thatn I thought; 9/25/07 in fact. I used a Purolator filter that I bought from Pep Boys and it came with an illustrated instruction sheet. So I did a little looking on the Internet and find that you need two Purolator C15388 filter elements and they do come with illustrated installation instructions. I think you can see those at http://www.pureoil.com/smartlink/?partnum=C15388

Click on "INSTALLATION" at the bottom of the screen.

It's definitely different from my Ford Windstar and says 2 to 5 minutes instead of 1 to 2 minutes.

thanks so much for the info! It has rear air s well. Is there a filter for that too?

The shaft inside the steering wheel seems like an expensive fix...I just bought this tahoe and it has 30 day 1,500 mile warranty,,,u think i need to get it seen about for safety reasons,,,or should i just live with it ( i don't really want to do that). Thanks for all the help!

should be a recall on the shaft... An "Act of Congress" MIGHT get GM to do it! [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

I do not believe there are any safety problems with it. My truck has had it since almost day one. It is a '99 Silverado with over 100k on it. Though it is very annoying. If you could get the dealership to replace it great, otherwise I would probably live with it - as I do with my Silverado. I would love to replace it because it annoys me so bad, just can't justify the expense.