Thread: Reconditioning wood handles

Reconditioning wood handles

Strange. My searches found no topics on this.

I've a myriad of old/used tools from 50 years to 7 years old and many instances of dried out exposed wood handles. My research showed boiled linseed as an old method to recondition and protect but it has toxic byproducts embedded; that do not evaporate. Ok for me maybe at those level, but I'd not want a small child playing with it. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Polymerized linseed avoids this problem but is not readily available. Its hard to believe there isn't some easy access approach to this that doesn't permanently block the natural properties of the wood; i.e. poly sealing.

I'm reluctant to just seal as they are mostly shrunken and exposed grain condition. I could replace some of them asuninteresting and what the heck, others would require custom work (I don't do wood crafting) and besides <font color="orange"> there is something to retaining the original handiwork of craftsmen. </font color>

Any ideas on how to recondition, and if separate, protecting? These are all stored either in barns or damp sheds; and can be used in all kinds of weather conditions.

tia [thanks in advance]
    Willing to break anything once; or I was. So I'm here to stop the practice.

Re: Reconditioning wood handles

Long Wooden Handles
    The wooden handles of rakes, hoes and shovels need maintenance as well. Over time, the wood will dry out and begin to splinter. You can ensure the wooden handles of your garden tools don't ever do this by sanding the handles with medium grade sandpaper (100 grit) and then rubbing the handle with linseed oil. You can do this anytime of the year, but it provides extra value when you are putting your tools away for the winter. Cold air tends to draw moisture out of the wood so the extra protection provided by the linseed oil keeps the handles from drying out and splintering.

This article mentions a water displacement medium although it didn't show up when I copied and pasted it here. I wonder if a thin oil, like 3 in 1 oil or real light motor oil or kerosene would do the trick. Be sure and let it soak in before using.