Thread: Compost expert needed

Katrinaville LA west of Westwego east of Ama south of River Ridge north of Boutte, above sea level

Compost expert needed

I have been composting the horse manure and pine shavings from my stalls for years now. I usually just mix the compost with river sand and spread the mix in low spots in the pasture after it has been composting for about a year since we are in a low-lying area. I usually turn the pile over with my frontend loader every 2 or 3 months. I have about 20 yards now that is over 2 years old and have been wondering about using it around my fruit trees and garden vegetables. My questions are:
    1. Is it safe to use on fruits and vegetables?
    2. Is there more or less nutrition in 2 year old compost than in 1 year old compost?
    3. Most fertilizers have 3 numbers describing the percentages of their ingredients and I have a chart showing which type of fertilizer to use on different plants. How do I figure what my numbers are on the compost?

Re: Compost expert needed

I can only share what research I have found and experience from our Vegetable Farm. The two year old compost would be safe to use almost anywhere. I wish we were close so I could get some of it. Horse manure has some of the hights nutrient qualities of all the manures. I typically put two tons of three year old composted sheep manure on each acre of our farm. Horse manure would be a bit hotter, but the only way you can be sure is to have it tested. There are several companies to do this across the nation. The three numbers represent N.P.and K. Nitrogen, Phosphorous and Potasium. Manure is higher in Phosophorous most of the time. I think Purdue has a chart you can access which would give you a close idea what the value of your compost would have. I do know it would be good for the areas you have asked about. Hope that helps.

The compost should be fine for a garden after two years. Depending on the feed used for the horses would be my only concern. As long as the hay fed did not have the chemical in weed & feed's you should be fine. Most hay is controlled with 2-4-D and it's half life is well over. Horse compost is really too hot in the first year for a garden so second year is great.

Horses unlike cows and pigs manage to pass a lot of nutriments and that what makes it a hot first year compost. And too strong for most gardens.

If you wanted to be safe, set up a test spot using Tomato's if it does not kill them off quickly, within say two weeks or three then the compost is fine. Tomatoes are a good place to start, outside things influence them greatly

Composting generates heat and needs a little control to keep it within desirable bounds. Composting a bit on the hot side helps kill seeds in the compost which is a good thing for use around crops as you don't want the compost to be a big source of weeds and grasses.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"