Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stand Mixers

Re: Stand Mixers

Pat, we sure don't have one, but the best I can remember, those old Sunbeam Mixmasters were fine machines, and a bit expensive for us poor folks.

And we used to have a big food processor that got used quite a bit, but we gave it away when I retired and we became full time RVers. So for just the two of us in an RV, we bought a "Black & Decker Handy Shortcut Micro-Processor". We've had it now for over 17 years and it still works very well, but there are sure times I wish we had a bigger one. The trouble is that we're limited on the amount of cabinet space, so I haven't bought a bigger one because it would take up too much space when not in use.

We have a food processor that we use on a semi regular basis. Slices, dices all that stuff. But if you only need a little bit of stuff it's not worth getting out. A small one like Bird has might be better.

My wife didn't like any of the pistols we looked at on Thursday, so maybe I'll get a mixer after all. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Bird, I didn't realize the Sunbeam was so "upscale", maybe that is why my mom had the same one for over 40 years. My family was not known for extravagance or waste.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat, KitchenAid seems to be the big name now, but I'm not so sure but what the current Sunbeam Mixmaster wouldn't be just as good, or maybe even better. In addition to the above website saying the first one was introduced in 1930, this website also says "In 1930 Ivar Jepson designed and built dozens of kitchen appliances, including the indomitable Sunbeam Mixmaster mixer." I'd say it's kind of a tried and proven design to say the least. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

One thing I notice about the Sunbeam is that it has two beaters. So it's a stand version of a hand held mixer. More powerful I'm sure with a 350 Watt motor.

The KitchenAids, and commercial floor mounted units I've seen, pretty much all use a single whisk and a planetary drive to cover the entire bowl. They also come with a big single beater that kind of looks like a skeletanized spade shape. And a dough hook of course.
    Gary

That's right, Gary. As far as I know, all the KitchenAids now come with all three "beaters". I've not used the whisk yet (they call it a "wire whip"), but the other two; that is the "dough hook" and "flat beater" have sure been used. And I learned pretty quickly not to turn it on more than the slowest speed when you only have the dry ingredients; i.e., flour and such in it unless you want those ingredients spread all over the kitchen. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Food network is one of my favorites, and Alton Brown has this cool black KitchenAid mixer with a flame paint job. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    Gary

Pat, I just happened to notice just inside the door at our local Walmart today, they have a whole stack of the "Sunbeam Heritage Mixmasters", 325 watt models for $98.72. Of course if you look at Sunbeam's website, they also made 450 watt models.

Gary, I'm not much of an interior decorator and don't generally care what color things are, but . . . when we bought this house, it already had a black and stainless steel KitchenAid dishwasher, a black and stainless steel KitchenAid range, and a black Kenmore microwave oven. It just so happened that we already had a black and stainless GE toaster oven (bought originally because of the style, not the color). So, as my wife wanted, we bought a black Kenmore refrigerator. Naturally, when I ordered the KitchenAid stand mixer, I got the onyx black. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] But I've never seen Alton Brown and I don't have a flame paint job on my mixer. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Bidr, Yes, and Wally World has a $50 Sunbeam Mixmaster also in addition to the $100 version.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"