Thread: Planting pasture in SE Michigan

Planting pasture in SE Michigan

I need to know the best time of year to put pasture mix down, I have a field about 2 acres that my horses have grazed pretty bare. (New at this whole farm thing too). I have a bag of pasture seed but don't know the best time to put down pasture mix in SE Michigan

Re: Planting pasture in SE Michigan

Speaking for Pat who has researched the best planting times spring is the season. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Planting pasture in SE Michigan

Planting early as the seeds will germinate is NOT usually the best option. You will have more grass at the end of the year if you delay planting until the soil temperature at two inches down is sufficiently warmed for the species you are planting. This lets the stored energy in the seed be used more efficiently and get the little seedlings off to a better healthier start. (This may not make a significant differences in some instances but with some species it sure does.)

Contact the seed supplier or your county extension agent for leads to information specific to your seed species and area where you are planting.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"