Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Up a tree

Up a tree

Last week my Daughter had me out to her place to cut down some unwanted trees. They were mainly grey birch that were leaning towards the house and one poplar tree that was alongside the power line.

For the poplar I attched a rope to help it fall the right way which it did.

The picture is of an old man up the tree! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Up a tree

Good on you for wearing the Husky chain say helmet with earl eye, head, and neck protection. I can't tell in the picture if you have the chaps.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

No chaps as they are too clumsy to wear when climbing. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I do have the proper set of pants though they are getting a little worn and ragged looking. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I don't need seatbelts, I'm only going to the store.

Is the wear and tear on the leg protectiin due to age, and use in brush and wading though limbs ir has there been contact with a moving chain loop?

I have never worn chaps and never hurt myself. I did put a couple gashes in my jeans pant leg last time out but missed the flesh. The new-in-the-box and unused Husky chaps WILL BE USED next time!!!

Pat

The wear and tear is on the back parts, the leg bottoms and the pockets.

The chain has never made contact. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon said, "The chain has never made contact. "

OK troop!!!! lets keep it that way!

Nothing like severing your femoral artery to spoil a day in the woods.

Pat

"Nothing like severing your femoral artery to spoil a day in the woods."

Pat, I hear you loud and clear. I've been doing a lot of tree/brush clearing the last couple of years off and on, much of it by myself with the nearest house 500-600 ft away. Always make sure I've got a belt on my pants that I could use as a tourniquet.

Using power tools by myself (especially a chainsaw) makes me extra cautious. Year ago, BIL gave me a set of chainsaw pants that an idling saw ripped into first time I used them while I was walking through the brush. Don't know if it was a false sense of security or not After that, the fact they were ripped up, bulky and uncomfortable made me put them in the basement and stick with my blue jeans. However, I also don't walk anymore with a running saw unless it's just a few feet in open terrain or if I'm trimming a fallen tree. My Poulan Pro starts so easy that I just shut it off and start it up again when I'm ready to cut. I think the key is concentration. When you're not concetrating on cutting, (like looking for the next tree to cut) then I believe that's when accidents happen. I'm no expert, but that's when I think I'M vulnerable.

As for getting up in a tree like EGON, I'll leave that to the pros. I don't feel comfortable at all doing that. I get nervous if I'm on a short ladder with a saw. Luckily, all my tree cutting can be done from the ground as I've got no buildings to worry about (yet).

Yesterday, my wife helped me cut down about fifteen trees. She was doing the hauling over to the pile for the wood chipper while I cut. Having another person nearby also makes me more cautious. Several times she wandered over too close for my comfort and I stopped my cut or shut the saw down.

I wasn't up the tree cutting. I was up there tying on a rope. The chain saw is too heavy for me handle up a tree. Husky 365.

When I do cut in a tree I use a light electric with a 9 inch bar. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Many years ago I saw a young fellow with his upper leg gashed open from a chain saw. It was 100 miles to the neaest hospital on what was really a trail but some called a road. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I almost always wear the pants. That is why they are so beat up. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

JML, You sound like a fairly conscientious citizen. Hope you don't live (or your wife doesn't) live to regret your decision to not use chaps. Sure there are oodles of folks who have worked for years with chain saws and never been hurt (I'm one) but if you keep on crossing the street without looking you may become freeway pizza.

I have gone up 24 ft extension ladders and then climbed limb to limb carrying a 16 inch Mac and disassembled the top 50 ft of a tree before and got away with it a few times. I have been trying to cut back on dumb things and going very high in trees (limb to limb) with a chain saw is one of the things I'm elliminating from my repertoire. With a ladder, I can stay safe. I use a safety belt and never climb up or down with a running saw. In some situations I leave the saw on the ground while climbing and hoist it up with a lanyard.

Pat

Pat,
    One of the reasons I'm not wearing the chaps anymore is that they're ripped and I'm not thrilled about the $70-$90 to replace them. I know, I know, a serious injury is worth a lot more than $90, so don't flame me too much. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Someone at work said you can repair them. The question in my mind is "how", so they're still effective. I did some work for a company that made auto convertible tops and I've got a bunch of scrap pieces of top material. Fairly tough stuff. I thougth about just duct taping a patch around the leg. Any thoughts/comments or experience with repairing them. I can't imagine loggers throw them out every time they get ripped.