Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Up a tree

Re: Up a tree

Many loggers don't wear all the safety gear they should and chaps are often not used.

I would probably repair them. The way they work is the fill material clogs the chain loop and stops it. I'd be looking for a replacement material to put in there and cover with a patch to restore the original performance.

No flames from me. I'm the bozo with a new set of unworn chaps (but I promise I will be wearing them from now on after cutting two slices across my jeans leg.) Just lucky I didn't really get a bad injury. Not going to tempt fate. I SHALL use the chaps.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Took a look last nite at the chainsaw pants that I cut. Cut is about 2" long and less than 1/4" away from a horizontal stitched seam (where the ends of the fibres were sewn in place). Cut through top layer of mesh and didn't pull too much material. (I suspect it was because it was so close to the the seam). More of a nick, so I'm definitely in "repair" mode. I've been looking for some material that I can shove in there before I patch the outer shell, but can't seem to find any on the net. Anyone have a source for the material for repairs for future reference?

Liberate a bullet proof vest and use the material they contain.

Seriously, don't muck around, go but a new pair as the present ones have served you well! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon's advice may, at first, seem extravagant but then you will have repair materials and can patch the new by cannibalizing the old if and when you ever need it.

I wish I could tell you what to use or where to get it or if tough upholstery material would work for a satisfactory patch but I can't. I know the theory is that the fibers jam the chain stopping the saw. I'd be concerned that convertible top material, although really strong and weather resistant might cut neatly and not jam the chain.

I have seen alternative protective gear. The body armor that baseball catchers wear on their legs has been worn for chainsaw protection. I haven't seen any performance tests, on purpose or accidental, but it would sure be better than not having protective gear and it is available for less than the Husky brand chaps.

I'm not recommending their substitution for the REAL THING, just passing along an observation and encourage yo to not take them internally but to be sure to wear ANSI approved safety glasses.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Pat

Talked to my BIL over the holidays. He is getting me another set of pants. By the way, got my wife a Stihl safety helmet (with ear muffs/ face shield) for Christmas. She opened it and I anticipated a huge smile, "Thank you dear", etc. Daughters' jaws dropped, wife's smile disappeared and she said "this is by far the dumbest thing you have ever bought me for Christmas". Luckily, I also got her some dumb (my opinion) wool pants and a dumb (again, my opinion) cashmere sweater as well. I almost bought her a Stihl 20" MS260 chainsaw instead of the clothes. I can't imagine what Christmas day would have been like if I had done that. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Ah "She who commands" is a curious creature. No man will ever understand the workings of it's mind. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

There are some here who claim otherwise but everyone knows different ehhh ????? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] He's so well programed he doesn't even know he's not making any decisions! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

jml, You are either a very brave man or a very naive one.

My wife and I have matching Husqvarna safety helmets with flip up/down wire mesh face guard, fold up/down snap in/out ear protection and a plastic French Foreign Legion back of the neck flap to keep chips and dust from getting down the back of your neck.

My wife doesn't chain saw gut does help feed the chipper and it does "belch" chunks back out every so often as well as being noisy.

Pat

Pat,
    that's why I got my wife the helmet. She is usually on the chipper just like your wife and I figured it would be appreciated. I think we now agree on our tastes in gifts: Hard, heavy, practical, metal, greasy, clanky: ok for me. Soft, delicate, elegant, clothing, ok for wife. After 34 yrs of marriage, I'm still getting educated.

jml, Ahh, so you're newly weds... I'm over 40yrs into this first and hopefully last marriage. Of course I started out young. In fact, I had to get a note from my mom to get married. My fianc馥 bought the lisc. It seemed like such a good idea to everyone else I thought what the heck. Been at it over 40 years and so far so good, but we'll see.

I even married someone whose birthday was close to Christmas so I could get one set of presents to cover both events. Over the years it has worked out to about the same. You can fool all of the wives some of the time but you can't fool any of them all the time.

Pat

If you act like a nut while up a tree, squirrels will flock to you!

Sweety usually does the gutters so one year got her a gutter buster for the end of the hose, good thing there are 24 hr stores out there!!
    No fun, change the rules!!!