Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pet Euthanasia Option

Pet Euthanasia Option

Had to put our 16 yr old shepherd mix to sleep yesterday. Had a bunch of health problems, but she had not been in pain. She's been a great dog (At 2 yrs old, "Cricket" had flunked out of the Leader Dog School but a lot of the specialized training had stuck). Finally on Sunday she couldn't stand up and we decided it was her time. I was going to take her to the vet, (prepared to pay around $100 from what others at work had told me) but I remembered the County Animal Control picked up our last dog who died at home. Called them and they put pets to sleep for free for County residents. Took her in and they were real nice about it. So check with your local Animal Control Shelter when the time comes for your pets.

Re: Pet Euthanasia Option

Very sorry for your loss. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] They just don't stay around long enough do they?

We had to put or beloved Smiley down last month. And as you say, it was about $100. That includes cremation and ash return if desired.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Gary,
    Thanks.
    Yeah, you sure get attached to them... and take them for granted. My daughter and I were a little teary-eyed when the technician carried her off. But that's part of life. I'm hoping to stay dog-free for awhile. The wife will probably be heading to the shelters and looking in the papers at those cute Humane Society ads. Though, we've got a horse that may suck up the extra attention from her. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] How about you? Did you get a replacement for Smiley?

No, not yet. Like you, we might stay dog free for a while. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

We miss her a lot, but I'll admit it's convenient to be able to go out and not have to keep track of when the dog was last let out for a potty run. Or to be able to plan an overnight or weekend trip without planning for a kennel. We'll just have to watch the papers like you are doing.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    plan an overnight or weekend trip without planning for a kennel

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of kennels, this story about a pit bull killing another dog in a local kennel was in the Dallas Morning News this morning. I would hope they would shut down that kennel, but they probably won't. Naturally, they say the pit bull was "an affectionate dog that showed no violent tendencies before the attack." Same story we hear over and over and over from pit bull owners.

Bird,
    Sad story. I agree with you about the pit bulls. Animals are very instinctive. I feel the same way about Dobermans. In our first house, a neighbor's Doberman would sometimes roam. I had a Siberian Husky puppy and my daughter was a toddler at the time. I figured if I caught it in my yard, they would never see it again. Luckily, they moved, but it made me nervous while they lived there.

Gary mentioned being able to take weekend trips. I had forgot we have a trip to Chicago next weekend and my wife and I both realized yesterdat that we had not made any plans for someone to take care of the dog. Almost like we knew subconsciously that we wouldn't need to.

I apologize in advance for straying further off the original poster's topic. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I've had a lot of experience with dogs throughout my life. As a child, my mother and I ran a very small dog rescue operation. We fostered many breeds, including a doberman and a pit bull. I've owned dogs all my life. All of them strays or shelter dogs but one.

Different breeds have VERY different instincts, behaviors and "quirks". While I am no fan at all of pit bulls, I will say that they are smart dogs, extremely loyal, major lapsitters and HIGHLY protective of their pack (human family) and territory. They form a very tight bond at a fairly young age, and they tend to become incredibly depressed and often aggressive when abandoned or neglected by their "bonded" pack/family. They don't adjust well to new owners/packs once they've reached adult age, and this often leads to violent behavior. What's worse, this is when they often end up in shelters, chained up or left alone in a kennel. Once this happens, they often become depressed and develop into the monsters you and I hear about on the news.

They can be quality pets, but they have to be a lifetime commitment. They aren't very adaptable to new surroundings, people or even other dogs, unlike most other breeds. Since so many people have this nasty habit of treating dogs like disposable property, they end up truly abusing these animals.

I really wish there was a ban on breeding them. Like I said, it's not really the fault of the dog. It's the fault of the owners. Since we definately won't be fixing the owners any time soon, I think the only way to correct the issue is to try to eliminate their availability in the pet trade.

kellenw,
    I agree with what you said. I just won't trust a dog that I think might be dangerous, for whatever reason. As for protection, you don't have to have a dog that will rip someone to shreds to protect your family/property. Presence of a dog (especially one of substantial size) is a good deterrent.

jml755,

Very true. I've seen some pit bulls in shelters that would have liked to rip my head off had they not been held back by chain link caging.

I actually like dobermans a lot. They can be great family dogs. They're actually pretty lazy animals overall, and I think they've gotten a bum wrap from all the hollywood movies portraying them as salivating, teeth baring, crazy dogs.

The scariest dogs I've actually ever seen have been abused and neglected german shepherds. Wow! I like german shepherds, and they can be fantastic dogs, but they can turn into real monsters if abused and/or neglected, especially in old age. I actually saw a german shepherd rip a pit bull to pieces when I was just a kid. The pit bull never had a chance. GS's have extremely powerful jaws, very muscular builds and often are faster than pits. You may stand a chance getting away from a pit, but a mean GS has the agility and quick speed almost matching that of a border collie or australian cattle dog. If they want to catch you and restrain you, they will.

I'm sorry for your loss I really do feel your pain.

Just yesterday we had to put down our 8 year old Shi-Tzu, (Princess) who still thought she was a puppy. Took her in for a check up and they told us she had cancer and would probably last 4 weeks at tops. Yesterday was just short of that period.

We didn't let her suffer but one can never prepare themselves for the loss.

And you really have to own a pet to know the pain involved with losing one.......... She was a good friend [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]