Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pet Euthanasia Option

Re: Pet Euthanasia Option

Congratulation to everyone who had to euthanize a pet and did it in a timely manner. It really bugs me that people will often refuse to face reality and so keep a pet in obvious agony around because they are too weak to do the right thing.

"But I just can't have Spot put down because I just love her so much." The dog may be in misery 24-7 with no chance of improvement but the gutless owners think only of themselves, not the animal.

It isn't fun, we don't like it BUT it is a part of pet ownership. You get a pet and you are responsible for its well being to whatever degree the situation requires. The puppy is cute or rescuing the shelter dog gives you a "feel good" but as sure as the sun rises each morning eventually the puppy or most any pet reaches the end of its quality of life before the owner where the decent and humane thing to do is to end their pain. Think of it as partial payment for their services rendered.

If you can't see yourself euthanizing a pet, don't get one. Consider a parrot or a tortoise, they have great potential for outliving you, just don't forget to provide for them in your estate.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat, thanks I was feeling lousy the past couple of days and what you said made me feel much better for doing the right thing. ....

I also received a card from the vet today that reads:

May it comfort you to know that your decision was both deeply caring and sincerely humane

We fully understand your sorrow and share in your loss.

Pat, I may be in the minority, but I not only agree with you completely, but think the option should be available for humans, too. I don't mean for someone else to make the decision to eithanize you, but I think you should have the ability to make the decision, and doctors should assist if that's your wish. I even told my own doctor that as far as I'm concerned, Jack Kevorkian was the best doctor in the country, and while I would never actually wish it on anyone, I figure if anyone deserves a slow painful death, it's the people who sent him to prison. My personal physician is active in hospice care, so of course, he disagrees with me, and I do think hospice is second choice. At least a couple of states have made assisted suicide legal, so maybe eventually others will follow. I've said that sometimes we treat our pets better than our family.

Bird,
    My youngest brother somehow (probably by default) got the job of taking family pets to be euthanized. He had to coax one out from under the bed where she had probably gone to die. Think he did about four of them over the years.

Since he now lives in California and I live in Michigan, I always tell people that if I'm in a hospital or nursing home and see him walk in the door, uh oh.....

[img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Bird, Maybe your years as LEO gave you experience and insight above and beyond the rank and file civilians.

Human life is very precious but should not be extended beyond all reason, especially against the will of the person in extremis. Suicide is a very touchy emotionally charged subject more likely to start an argument than politics or religion.

Surely there must be a prognosis that is so laden with pain and suffering, so devoid of quality of life that the vast majority would concur and "VOTE" to allow the sufferer to pass on.

It is the height of ignorance when people, due to their personal convictions, want to impose untold agony on the terminally ill and insist on prolonging that agony as long as medically possible.

There is always the danger of the slippery slope and who gets to decide when or if in the cases where the immediate subject party is not capable of rendering a viable decision but for someone who is provably competent and meets ethical guidelines why not let them choose to pass on with dignity and end their irreversible decline into pain and suffering?

/SOAPBOX MODE = OFF/

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I know it's been a while for this thread but I was wondering when do you know it's time. I have a 13+ year old labx and we've had her since she was 11 months. She's had arthritis for about 2 years now but lately it's become worse. There was one day on the weekend that she couldn't get up. We thought that was it because she was also whining. Then we increased her msm etc that we give her and the next day she was up and around. She's been able to get up since but now she's been having accidents inside almost everyday. She was like a tank before, could hold it until bursting. She's a very smart dog and I know she's not thrilled by having these accidents and neither are we. We also don't want the 2 yr old lab mix to think it's ok for him since we don't want to schold her for something she can't help. Are we just selfishly keeping her going or how do you know when it's time to let her go?

How do you know when it's time? I'm not sure anyone can answer that for you, since it's a pretty personal decision, and probably never an easy one. For me, personally, if my dog is in obvious pain with little hope of it getting better, I'll think it's time.

From what you're describing, probably any time is as good as any. You've got to look at the quality of life issue for the pet. Obviously, if they're suffering, the decision is easier. What's hard is what you describe. We went through a week or two where our dog would be very perky for a little while each day. But the signs were there (incontenence, tremors, falling down, couldn't get up). It just got to the point where she couldn't get up at all and we knew that was it. I think you'll know when it's time.

Thanks. It is difficult. I'd love her to live forever, she's such a great dog but I don't want her suffering either.