Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4WD dash indicator on 2008 F-250 SUPER DUTY

4WD dash indicator on 2008 F-250 SUPER DUTY

I have a dash indicator that tells you you are in 4WD high when you place the dash mounted switch in 4WD High position. OK, so far so good. Then when you switch to 4 WD low range the dash message still says 4WD High.

Anyone else experience that?

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: 4WD dash indicator on 2008 F-250 SUPER DUTY

I have a 2008 F-250 SD as well. The trick for low range is to stop, place tranny in neutral, turn the switch to low and hold your foot hard on the brake. My indicator blinks until it is engaged. Do the reverse of the above to get it out of low range. Stop, neutral, switch to high or 2 wheel drive, hard on the foot brake. This has always worked for me, hope it works for you.
    2008 F-250 V-10 Loaded
    2007 Lincoln LT grocery getter
    2007 Kubota RTV 900
    1996 Ford Bronco

Well, so much for electronically controlled switch on the fly 4x4!

Thanks pappy, I'll give that a try in a few minutes as I am going to drive up to my hay barn to move some feed.

Is your truck diesel? I still have to remind myself about the regeneration cycle as every time when parked running when I am hitching a trailer or whatever and the engine speeds up to a faster idle I first get nervous/concerned and then remember, OH YEAH, it is supposed to do that. I have only 2000 miles on it so I suspect I will get used to it over time.

I also have a Dodge/Cummins one ton which I thought had a fairly quiet cab until I started driving the Ford. This baby is as quiet as a gasser and accelerates like one too. I enhanced the Cummins a bit in HP , torque, and MPG too a llittle but the Ford would leave the Dodge in the dust at a drag race. Of course pulling a load is what the Dodge does best not racing around.

Pat

"Well, so much for electronically controlled switch on the fly 4x4!
    "
    They make it so you have to stop to engage 4 low so some idiot does not click it into 4 low going 60 MPH and tear the heck out of the transfer case.

Jim, I know what you mean. There is no minimum IQ score below which you can't buy a 4x4.

I was trying to get the indicator to say 4WD Low and I was stopped but not in neutral with my foot on the brake. I may have been in park which might should have worked. Oh well. I ended up driving my tractor to the barn and then didn't get to use it so the test of Pappy's suggestion will have to wait.

I moved over a ton of feed in 5 gal buckets at about 34 lbs per bucket which went OK but early in the exercise I felt a stinging sensation in my pectoral muscle area. I knocked the wasp off with my hand and stepped on it but he had already drilled me. The exercise seemed to keep circulation up and it soon quit stinging but I have a nasty red welt. This is the first stinging insect to score on me in 10-12 years and that was when I impaled my hand on a dying bumble bee that fell onto a ladder rung I was climbing after spraying some of them.

Pat

The XXXXX wasp got me three times this year. Once at the wind mill they had a nest inside the insulated pipe and I stuck my hand up to pusjh it closed and they got me about 3 times. And then they got under the hot tub bar and I did not see them and got me a couple more times. I could barely move my fingers. Those things a far worse to me than bees ever were.

Jim, I still have the mark of the wasp but it isn't an angry red welt now and it doesn't hurt (24 hours later.)

Hey, Pappy, I "played" with my 4WD control switch. Here is what it appears to require for 4WD Hi to low and low to high transitions:

In both cases, shifting up or down, you have to be in neutral, stopped, and have your foot on the brake (sound familiar?), and wait for a couple seconds for it to change. Just going slow in neutral, even with your foot on the brake doesn't seem to do it. Looks like, as Jim suggested, it has been programmed to prevent screwups. I'm not sure exactly what scenarios I might get into where this could be a problem, especially since I'm not quite as much the wild and crazy off-roader I was previously.

Thanks again, Pappy, at least I know the "combination" required to transition it now.

Pat

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I thought had a fairly quiet cab

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not even try to listen to the radio or Cd's when pulling a load! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Or carry on a conversation with a passenger. That's not so bad as I'm pretty quiet anyways. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I have used a headset to listen to Cd's though. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Pat; all you need is a different torque converter, larger injectors, a bigger turbo and some weight in the back and your Dodge is ready for the the stoplight games! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Maybe a larger exhaust system too. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I moved over a ton of feed in 5 gal buckets at about 34 lbs per bucket which went OK

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you are buying feed or having it ground at another location. This calls for a dedicated feed wagon/trailer with a side auger discharge chute.

As the herd increases in size the bucket brigade gets old real fast. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Pat-

Glad you found the combination. Don't feel bad as my son drove his new Expedition (same method of 4 wheel hi to low) in low range for 22 miles to my house cause he couldn't get it to shift out. After getting to my house, in 10 seconds, I had it out of low range and showed him the "secret." Now, you can become a "consultant" on the issue.
    2008 F-250 V-10 Loaded
    2007 Lincoln LT grocery getter
    2007 Kubota RTV 900
    1996 Ford Bronco