Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 4WD dash indicator on 2008 F-250 SUPER DUTY

Re: 4WD dash indicator on 2008 F-250 SUPER DUTY

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] WWII trucks were made by several MGFs. REO, GMC, Chevrolet and of course Chewtabacker. Most of the Chews went to Russia where they were so well received that the Ruskies called them "King of the Road". The Studebakers had a hercules engine because the Stupidbaker engines were so dinky. That Herc made them quite a rig. They could be easily distinguished at 40 MPH by the slightly-more rounded cabs and the TIMKEN split-type axles.....no banjo center section like the GM 's had. BY FAR the best trucks were the GMC 2-1/2 tonners. Superb GMC 270 Six with the five speed behind that. The Shivel-A's had a 216 babbett beater six...YUK! After z'war the US collected the trucks from the Ruskies and took them to sea and dumped them. Of course many still stayed behind and remain to this very day. The multi-fueler/automatic shifters did not make WWII but appeared very shortly thereafter.
    CJDave

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Pat, here is a quiz for you..... In course of the epic battle for Stalingrad the Germans captured a Ruskie and took him to HQ for questioning. The CO's interrogator found something in this Russian's pocket that was very alarming, so much so that the CO knew that it portended defeat for the Wehrmacht. What did he find? [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] No, ... it wasn't the key to a Chewtabacker truck. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    CJDave

My Ford built 1943 military Jeep had the standard little Willys 4 banger. About 1970 When I bought the transfer case for $75 I bought 2 carbs for it, one to use and a spare for $6.50 each brand new.

My buddy's deuce with the multifuel engine was manual column shift with manual floor mount transfer case controls. IT was power steering (took loits of YOUR power to steer it) as it was totally manual with a LARGE diameter steering wheel to compensate.

I don't recall the RPM spread for shifting but he told my wife not to get under X RPM and to shift up before exceeding Y RPM. He let her drive it off road and on "gravel" mining roads where gravel was the size of your fist and larger. Until we bought a Rotary Mazda with auto she had not only never driven an automatic but always floor shift cars (MG, Karmen Ghia, VW Bug, Austin Healy, and so forth. She liked big ugly trucks so getting to drive the deuce was a thrill for her. One of her favorite museums is the truck museum Near Campo, California.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Didn't the army move away from dual wheels after their experience with mud in WWII? Didn't they go to large, single wheels in the post WWII multi-fuelers? I think they may have gone back the other way now, I have sort of lost track. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Well, Pat, have you got the answer to the quiz question yet? What did Von Paulus and his generals find on the Ruskie prisoner that upset them so much ?
    CJDave

The current trend in real trucks is toward the HEMTT series. They generally look similar to this.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Thanks for that photo, Jim.... what a rig! When I think about the geometry required for the tandem front axles, I get a headache. Ackermann steering times two!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

The deuces that my friends have had all have 6 tires, 2 up front steering and 2 each on each of 2 rear axles, all driving or just the rear depending on levers.

I guess I missed out on the question about the what the Russian had in his pocket. Illuminate me, please.

Pat

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] The Ruskie soldier had a can of SPAM in his pocket, an indication that the U-Boat blockade wasn't working and supplies from the US were getting into Russia via the ice-free port of Murmansk. The Germans couldn't count on the Russians running out of matriel and weakening defensively. Studebakers and Spam....what a combination! [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

We had 2 Studes, a 55 which was traded in at 9 months of age for a 56 President. The Pres had the big Packard engine and under the hood, It was level full under there. It had BW auto tranny and ran like a scalded ape. It became my dad's oil field work car for a while) when he bought my mom a 59 Buick. The Stude was to heavy in front and he solkd it and got a Pontiac straight 8 with more capacity for hauling his lab and stuff (ran better on didstillate too.)

Pat

We had 2 Studes, a 55 which was traded in at 9 months of age for a 56 President. The Pres had the big Packard engine under the hood, It was level full under there. It had BW auto tranny and ran like a scalded ape. It became my dad's oil field work car for a while) when he bought my mom a 59 Buick. The Stude was too heavy in front and was beating itself to death so he sold it and got a Pontiac straight 8 with more capacity for hauling his lab and stuff (ran better on distillate AKA "DRIP" too.)

Pat