We have 2 small ponds on our 10 acres. One is back in the woods and stays real clean and clear. The other is up closer to the house and lays next to the fence that seperates me from our horse breeding neighbor.

My problem is that the lay of the land is such that all the rain water runs across my neighbors property into the pond. This wouldn't be a bad thing except she has overgrazed her pastures and they are full of manure. Therefore, the runoff is nutrient rich and my pond stays green all the time.

It is a pretty pond with large oak trees on the backside and brush and tall grass along the sides. Our house sits on a small hill and you can see the pond clearly from our deck.

Is there anyway to clean up the water? Someone told me to get some grass carp and that they would help. The pond is approximately 8 to 10 feet in the middle and is spring fed so does not dry up during a drought. It's probably 1/4 acre in size.

We see deer come down to drink every morning and it is so pretty. It would be even prettier if we could keep the green slime and growth out of it. The water is not green, just the stuff growing on top. On a windy day, it will all be blown to one side and the water itself is pretty clean.

Any suggestions on how to keep the surface clear of the green 'stuff'? I really hate to use chemicals, but will if it will help. I don't want to disturb the natural inhabitants... turtles, frogs and small minnows.

I have attached a picture showing the pond in the background. It was only half covered on this day as it rained, but by the next day it was fully covered again. That is my small herd of Pygmy goats in the foreground.

Thanks !