JML755--basically this is what I think we are going to do. we will do pvc like you stated--We will run to the existing culvert so we dont have to worry about permits or the added expense. This seems logical since this is where the water naturally wants to go.

Since my original post, we have since had more rain and almost the entire paddock, barn and strip going from barn to pond flooded over. The previous RR land is fine. It has since been absorbed/evaporated, but the pond is still overflowed, and the paddock is now mostly ice. The drain culvert is located about 15 ft from pond (at the road)and this is where we will channel the water. We are also planning on digging the existing pond deeper. For the time being--we have a temporary pasture area sectioned off for the horses--poly posts and electric tape, but we need to do something about the land soon--according to the neighbours, in the spring- that same area will be a shallow lake. The house and shop will be fine--but the strip along the RR land will be bad. Right now--we have to wait for a guy to come over and give us an estimate. We will do all we can by ourselves--but i heard running an excavator to get the proper slope can be a tricky thing.....

Thanks all who contributed to this post. your knowledge and insight is invaluable.

Here's to a great 2008!!