Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: what are my options?

Re: what are my options?

How would I get elevations--topo maps? I looked online, but no go...library maybe?

Topo maps won't help you here. You need to take the measurements yourself, or have someone who knows how to do it. It really isn't that hard. (See the earlier post about renting/buying a transit).

There are numerous ways to take elevations and compute grades. A very simple way is you can use a clear length of tubing/hose (open at both ends) and fill it with water. The water level will be the same at both ends. Measure water line to ground and you've got the difference in elevation over that length. (eg, if the difference in the water line to ground measurement was 3 1/8" over a 25 ft length, you would have a 1/8" slope) You can buy these kits fairly cheaply. If you used the "tubing method" every 25' it would take about 20 measurements to determine the grade from one end of your property line to the other.

This will tell you if it's even possible to move the water from one end of your property to the other. Remember, water won't move uphill, at least due to gravity, it won't.

Oh.... DH's friend has a transit that we will getting but not for about a week....

A dead simple approach is to use a "water level." You use any number of garden hoses to get the length you want and put clear tubing at the ends. You can drive stakes in the ground and hold one end of the clear end on the hose so the water level in the tubing is at the height of the stake. Mark it with a pencil. Let whoever is holding the other end next to another stake mark it at the same time. Since water seeks its own level the marks on the states are the same elevation to within a pencil lines width if you are careful. You can then take your end to your friend's stake and the friend can go to the next stake. You can use as many stakes as you like. The work goes fast and is pretty simple. Just drive in a bunch of stakes. (I like to use stakes at least 4 ft long driven into the ground at least a foot as it saves bending or having to sit on the ground.)

You can buy "kits" which include a couple pieces of clear tubing, one with male hose fitting and one with female to attach to both ends of a hose or you can buy all the parts to DIY for under $5 US. It is simple easy cheap and quite accurate. For best results both operators have to hold their hose ends still so the oscillation of the water dies down to a reasonable level. You do not have to wait for the water to stop oscillating, just note the max and min heights of the water as it oscillates. The final reading will be in the middle if both operators are holding their ends steady.

Once you have a mark on all your stakes you can easily measure the distance from each mark to the dirt and there you have it, an accurate determination of the variations in elevation of your land. No fancy survey instruments or special skills needed, it is cheap and pretty fast with two people. I have done it by myself but it takes 4-5 times as long as with two people. Once you get the hang of it you should be able to do a stake every minute or two.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

miss_thenorth,
    to expound on my and Pat's comments on the water level, I've done it by myself easily by using "chip-clip" spring clamps to hold the tubing to the stake. Just have to move 1 end of the tube every measurement. (trailing end in the series) Never had a problem with oscillation. Plus, doing it myself saves the inevitable queries from the helper (usually my wife or one of my daughters) on typical home jobs: "Are we done yet? Can I go now?" which leads to me rushing the job and wondering if I didn't make a mistake. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

ps. Wife went out and found numerous nails sticking out of the fencing surrounding the turnout paddock. Like a trooper, she waded through the muck with a hammer and pulled or pounded in any possible offenders. Don't know if she got the one that "nailed" our horse.

Re: what are my options? Spring update???

missthenorth,
    Just curious how your property looks this Spring. We've had wetter Springs, so don't know if this one would show you a "worst-case" scenario for your water management problem. Any change or update on your plans to move the water to the culvert better?

Good morning! Funny you should bring this up now, b/c at this moment, the 'guys' are here doing the tile work. They have done the majority of it and are now finishing up where the exisitng paddock area is now.

We ran one tile from the culvert, along-side the pond, and barn, and now they are going to the SW corner of the paddock. There were existing old tile that they attached to the new main one. You're right in saying it wasn't the wettest of springs we've had, and all I can say to that is 'Thank God'. For most part of the end of the winter, the whole stretch along where the RR tracks used to be, all the way to the paddock was covered in water./ice. the horses were fine while the ground was frozen, we had an area for them to go in but once it started melting, the barn was a standing island, and thankfully the horse stalls were elevated a bit, so -they- stayed relatively dry. My dh borrowed a pump from work, and we pumped out ALOT of water, so that the horses' area and barn were not flooded. All is good now, the tiling will be done today.

We have also been putting up horse fence, and I am getting ready to put my garden in.

We are busy, but we are loving it out here. I will update with pics soon.

TTYL

2 cents, so take it for what it is worth.

Have about 5 acre separated pasture. Every year for the last 5 have watched it fill with small pond (same as yours). When was allowed to examine in (as new farm manager) found the cattle and such had created a hard pan layer on the surface so each time it rained the water drained to the lowest area and ponded up. Low and behold, disced the heck out of it. Monsoon, no pond, all the water was now draining into the ground and being held by the years of manure put on it. The top foot of soil is sandy loam below that is sand and probably gravel even deeper. Your pic shows where the horses (?) walked and spent time in the paddock (IMHO). The drive is just a low spot that needs some gravel fill. Maybe the hardpan is lower and then you would need a subsoiler and there are good and bad about them including messing with the tilth of the soil and maybe pushing the hardpan just that much deeper.

This is only IMHO. But water is getting to be more and more of an issue so i would really try to preserve the resources you have and not just drain them away. But that is the fun of having your own place and making the decisions.

Kind of feel like a lamp in the dark but not meant to be disrespectful of any of the other posters or you.
    No fun, change the rules!!!