Thread: BONES

BONES

My wife was wondering tonight what people used to do with bones after the meat had been eaten off of them.
    Best Regards,
    Highsmith

Re: BONES

Dogs seem to like them. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

In a prior time they were cracked and the marrow eaten. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Some people used them as personal ornaments before stainless steel became popular! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Bone meal is a prized plant fertilizer. I think it would be difficult, time consuming and costly to grind bones at home, though. Might even get the police interested in your actions. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Some of the earliest tools made by early man was made of bone. Also, dogs became human companions probably even before homo sapiens developed. The dogs got the left over food and bones, and the early humans got the protection of their canine friends that evolved from wolves. So, basically, Egon is correct, as usual.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Nope; Egon is just making a good guess! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I guess I was not specific enough. Raw bones are good for dogs because there is still nutrition in them. The nutrition has not been cooked out. Cooked bones will splinter and cause a choke hazard unless they are cooked for a very long time and become soft, but, again no nutritional value. So she was wondering if there was any use for bones that have been cooked. Seems like fertilizer is the best option so far.
    Best Regards,
    Highsmith

You can't cook the calcium completely out of bones so that nutrient remains. If composted properly (repetitively batched with other easier materials, if necessary) bones will decompose so you don't have to grind them to use them for soil amendment. Just buried they will decompose, just not as quickly (cooked or raw) as when composted

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Ummmm.. I boil the s**t out of them with some vegies and herbs etc, and make stock out of them--for soup and gravies etc.

The dogs get the ones that are safe for them and all the rest get to visit the ol' chipper/shredder down at the compost pile.

We have a saying around here: Recycle and reuse!!
    No fun, change the rules!!!