Thread: Composting toilets

Composting toilets

Just watched an information tape from Sun-Mar regarding indoor composting toilets. They offer several models. I am more interested in the self-contained unit, but the wife is more interested in the kind that will flush. Anyone with experience using these in their homes?
    Best Regards,
    Highsmith

Re: Composting toilets

I have been around electric incinerating toilets and composting toilets and prefer composting (the electric failed and what a mess!) If you are referring to a composting toilet that flushes, I have no clue.

Features I would DEMAND if I were installing a composting toilet:

1. Vent fan creating a draft into the toilet 24-7 (solar models available)

2. easily changed "spare" containers

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I am not familiar with composting toilets. I would hope they would have good ventilation. It sounds a little smelly too me. Where can I get more information on composting toilets?

This is new to me too. It sounds like a good idea in theory, but I really can't handle any sort of mess or odor in the house. It would have to be very well contained for me to consider it. If anyone has a link that would be great

Look at the Humanure Book. Lots of good info.

Have a sun mar composting toilet in my cabin. No odor and no mess. Just follow their directions and you can't go wrong. It has been in use for about six years now.

This is news to me. For those asking for a link, here ya go - Composting Toilets By Sun-Mar - The Environmental Solution

I'm pretty interested in this and will be reading more about it today. From the website information and pictures, it looks easy enough and well contained.