Thread: 89 Chevy

89 Chevy

Got a 89 chevy truck that's hittin somewhere around 250k miles. I'm having headlite problems... Its a 4 headlite set with 2 each settin side by side. Looks like the inside ones are the ones that go from dim to bright but outside ones don't work at all. I doubt that both outside bulbs went out at same time, but will be testing 2day. Anybody got any suggestions on problem & does anybody know of a website that has a troubleshootin area. Thanks in advance.. for any help.

Re: 89 Chevy

I don't know that I would be any help with your problem, but just for your information . . . I bought a new one ton dually in 1989 and also bought the service manual. According to the service manual, all four lights would be lit up on high beam and only two on low beam. Well, that ain't the way it worked. I found that changing from high beam to low beam and vice versa just changed which pair were lit up. Since that was not what the service manual said, I went to the dealer to get my truck's lights "fixed". They had a service bulletin that having all 4 lights on at the same time was too much light for traffic you were meeting, so they had changed and my truck was doing what it was supposed to do. But they had not corrected the information in the service manual.

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] If i wuz you I would cehck the little push-on connectors in the back of the sealed beams. Those can get somewhat cruddy and not make good contact. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Thanks for info YOU two, I'll try the connectors & good info to know BIRD! I can't imagine that it's been that way to long !

Could it also have been wrecked and different lights put on the front? Some of the 88-90 Chevy's had the 2 4x6 Sealed beams. If someone replaced this front end with one that had the 4 headlight system they wouldn't have anyway to wire the inside/highbeams up.

Nope not wrecked.... My brother owned it 1st 10 yrs & I have had it ever since. I think I got a short in switch.. It's tied in with blinker switch & it started working right, well I hope it keeps working right till I get it inspected.