Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Skiers?

Any Skiers?

I got older skis, Volant Power Karve, from a friend and I need to remount the binding to adjust to my big size boots 31.5. There is a 'front tipof the boot' mark on the skis which suggests that I reattach the heel about 2 1/4 inch back. The result will be that the boot center will be positioned 1 1/8" backwards. Does that sound right?

Re: Any Skiers?

Skis, been 7 years since I've been on the back country ones and 9 since I've been thru the moguls. There may be lots of snow where I am but it's not the best for cross country and gives you lots of waxing alternatives.

One Google advice source for mounting ski's.
    http://www.forskiers.com/articles/8.asp

Pay special attention to the drilling locations and bit size as little bit off can cause some problems. Also use a depth stop on the drill bit. Get in some good powder runs for me! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

idaho04,
    I'm no expert, but I have moved bindings from skis to skis several times and I recall centering them on the skis. I still ski on Rossignol Edge that I bought new in 1976. (People laugh, but after looking at the price of new skis over the years and the fact that I may get out west once a year for a week, I've got other places to drop big bucks.)

Since the Volant's don't have a "center" mark, it sounds like the ski design is more concerned about how far forward your weight is. I'd ask at a ski shop. Be prepared for them to say, we can't advise you due to liability concerns. It's crazy but they won't mount used bindings on new skis for that reason. If you can't get a definite answer, I'd mount them per the mfr marks, meaning you should just have to adjust the position of the rear binding for your bigger foot. Depending on how good/aggressive a skier you are, you may not notice any difference from the boot position. You'll probably feel more difference from other features of the skis that are different from what you've had in the past (length, stiffness, shape, etc)

Actually, glad you posted this. I busted a Salomon 727 binding on a trip 2 years ago to Aspen and had to rent skis for the week. Can't gripe, they gave me over 20 yrs of service. I forgot that I need to get those fixed. I'm going to look for a used pair of bindings on Ebay. (No, the binding didn't break while I was coming down Elevator Shaft at Aspen Mountain. It broke during the flight out in baggage handling).

Post back on what you end up doing, how you like them and how they work in various snow conditions. Looks to be a good snow year out west.

Here is my $0.02

By using the same toe location and just repositioning the heel location for varying sizes you are changing the location of the center of gravity with respect to the center of the ski. That can't be right. Imagine really BIG FEET. The center of the binding would be way back compared to someone with small or at least short feet.

I typically wear US size 13 and that would put my typically greater weight (250LBS) farther back on the ski than say some smaller guy wearing size 9 boots and weighing 150. Doesn't sound right to me.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I beleive it works off the ball of the foot for center location??? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I see you agree with me, Egon. Is that an accident? Unless the skier had terrifically deformed feet larger feet will have the ball of the foot farther back from the tip of the toes.

Pat

Pat,
    You are right, but I doubt that a recreational skier would notice the change in center of gravity due to a 1" or so difference in the boot position. That would be easily compensated for by leaning forward a little more and would probably be a natural reaction as most people ski by "feel of the mountain". By this I mean if the skis aren't turning quick enough, you'll naturally lean more into the side of the hill to get the ski to "bite". Snow conditions also play a huge part in ski reaction: powder vs hard-pack, i.e. sitting back a little more in powder to keep the tips up. The main reason I would just go per the mfr marks: only one new set of holes to drill. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Again, I'm no expert, so if Killy reads this forum, go ahead and flame me, Jean-Claude. (Now there was a guy who "sat back")

OK, I decided to stop at the ski pro shop in Sandpoint. These guys are really nice and helpfull. They agreed that the center off the boot should go forward. I decided to have them remount and tune up the binding for $35. They let me watch, and did a good job.
    Today I took it to the hills and it skied fantastic, better than the rentals. The turning is easy and comfortable, going straight is harder to control, works for me. It was around 10F, pretty cold.
    Thanks for your responses.

idaho04,
    Great to hear! Wish I was heading out west this year. With daughter in college and another heading there next year, it may be awhile. Always heard great things about Volants.

Hmm, Shoe size normal or especially small to my 13 is a bit.

Pat