Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am now a felon

I am now a felon

The county just passed a new law. It is against the law to feed,water any wild animal. Partial text of law.

"It is unlawful for any person to intentionally feed bears, javelina, coyotes or mountain lions, or to attract them by intentionally, negligently or recklessly placing water, garbage, refuse, human or animal food, or edibles in a place that is physically accessible to such wildlife.

Violations

Violating the ordinance is considered a Class I misdemeanor and violators can be fined up to $2,500 and/or up to six months in jail and three years of probation, or a combination of all three. Any animal control officer may issue a citation for the violation of the ordinance. "

So do you think the coyote cares?

Re: I am now a felon

[img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] When I visited your part of the county about 18 years ago, I wasn't too surprised to see some signs alongside some tourist trails in the desert that read "Rattlesnakes Have the Right-Of-Way", but I was surpised to learn that some rattlesnakes are actually protected by law.

Now which is it? Did you put that water out for the coyote "intentionally, negligently, or recklessly"? [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I guess it really doesn't matter since the penalty is the same for any of them. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Let's see now. If you have a horse trough (or bird feeder, as pictured) on YOUR property, some ordinance enforcement guy can drive up and give you a citation. More goverment interference in our lives. I thought the SW part of the country was immune to that kind of stuff.

I heard yesterday that some states are considering limitations on the weight of school books as some kids are getting back problems from carrying heavy backpacks. I don't even know where to begin as to why that is the stupidest thing I ever heard of. (I'm waiting for Leno or Letterman to start the jokes on that one)

I DO understand the garbage situation. I know in areas where bears are close to town, garbage must be kep in "bear-proof" containers. A couple of years ago, we were in Aspen, CO when a bear was caught rummaging through someones kitchen refrigerator.

Anyway, I suggest you post a sign by the feeder that says "Coyotes, bears, mountain lions prohibited from drinking at this feeder". That should protect you in a court of law. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Actually you would not be a Felon as the "crime" is only a misdemeanor. So you wouldn't lose your right to posess firearms.

But the sign might be kind of funny.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

It is actually a long story. But in simple terms there was one family that insisted on feeding javalina. They sold or gave away all of their other animals in order to feed the pigs. The javelina began to harass neighbors and beg/demand food even to the extent supposedly of attacking people trying to carry groceries to their house so this was the answer. My answer would have been a free afternoon pig hunt and leave all the dead pigs in the peoples yard. Oh well.

That is funny stuff! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Very good pic and funny story.

Nope, can't post a sign specifically excluding different types of animals while allowing others to freely drink or eat. federal discrimination laws strictly prohibit this. next thing you know the coyotes and wolves have a spokesperson and a march and you're a speciesist!!! Probably someone like this cat.
    You ARE a redneck if... you knew someone whose last words were "Hey y'all, watch this!"

Susan Sarandon will solve all the problems along these lines when the group she works hard for succeeds in having all animals declared sentient beings and therefore have all rights under the constitution. This will outlaw killing any animal and make us all vegetarians in one foul swoop. No one will actually OWN animals but will be caretakers sort of like having foster children.

I'm serious, no kidding, she is actually working hard in that organization to do exactly what I said. Sounds like I made it up for laughs but it is the SAD TRUTH.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I think this should be expanded to vegetable matter also as somewhere I have read plants can communicate with each other in matters such as insect pests and micro bacterial threats??? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    This will outlaw killing any animal and make us all vegetarians in one foul swoop.

[/ QUOTE ]

If people tried to do that, would they also try to stop the animals from eating each other; i.e., stop the coyotes and wolves from killing chickens and sheep, etc.