Thread: Vodka Bob

Vodka Bob

I had just opened the front door to let Frog in the house; we put him on a lead outside so he can answer natures call, and visit with passersby; if he doesn't get to interact with a least a few strangers on a regular basis, he gets depressed.

As the door swung open, I heard the voice; it was deep and gravely, and I have come to learn that the voice is the product of years of exposure to Marlboro reds and straight, Karkov Vodka.

Cortez, Florida is a unique place. Somehow, right in the middle of civilization as we know it, this little township lives by its own set of rules; golf carts and 4-wheelers make up seventy-five percent of the traffic on the streets, dogs and cats run loose, fireworks are legal, and open containers are not frowned upon, which is how Vodka Bob gets by with walking the streets, a lit Marlboro in one hand, and an open bottle of hooch tucked under his arm.

I see him often, but never as up close and personal as on this day, when I found him hunched over Frog, extolling the virtues of being a dog, and even better, a friendly one.

"Well, yer just a sweet old pucky dog, ain't ya?" he crooned.

Frog, never one to shun a caress, even when in danger of being pickled by the alcohol-laden breath of the caresser, stood like a statue while Bob praised and petted and eventually, sat right down in the grass at Frog's feet.

"What kinda dog is he?" Bob asked, as he allowed Frog to lather his cheek and neck with dog kisses, and I cringed; Frog's breath, as a general rule, would knock a buzzard off a body wagon at a hundred paces, and Jill swears that if he licks her, she gets a rash wherever his tongue touches her skin.

"We're not sure," I replied.

"What with the brindle coat, he might have some pit bull in him, or maybe boxer," Bob mused, more to himself than to me, "but he's fine pucky dog, either way, ain't ya, boy?"

"Mmm hmm," I said, and went back in the house, to peer out the window through the blinds.

"What's goin' on?" Jenny asked.

"There's a guy out there with Frog."

She joined me at the window.

"Who is he?"

"Danged if I know, but he's drunk as Cooter Brown, and I think he's in love with our dog."

"You don't think he'd take him ..." Jenny said.

"Nah, I imagine he reacts like this to most any dog he sees," I said, "but I don't know how to break up this little love affair without hurting his feelings."

"Well, then don't," she replied ... so I didn't.

Amazingly enough, Bob was out there lounging in the grass with Frog for an astounding hour and a half; I know because I burned off a good 300 calories running back and forth to check. Then thankfully, I went to check again, and he was gone, and I didn't see him again until New Year's Eve.

Jill and I were out walking just before midnight, waiting for the inevitable fireworks to start. Off somewhere a few blocks away, a train whistle truck horn blew almost non-stop.

"You'd think he'd get tired of that," I said, and Jill laughed.

"He's probably just stopping long enough to go grab another beer," she said.

Music blared from every street. Golf carts zipped back and forth from marina to marina, carrying boisterous partiers, and leaving propane and alcohol fumes in their wakes. For all intents and purposes it was a typical Cortez Saturday night, but with noise-makers thrown in for good measure.

We ran into Bob outside a restaurant, and he fell to his knees, greeting Frog before wishing us a happy new year, and ambling away, an open bottle, this time, under each arm.

I shook my head sadly.

"What?" Jill said.

"I feel sorry for him."

"Why? He's happy."

I stared at her. "What do you mean -- he's killing himself."

"Aren't we all, in one way or another?"

We stopped in front of a house that had a television set up on the hood of a car, and watched the ball drop in Times Square. Shouts and whistles could be heard as the clock ticked from 11:59 to 12:00, and the noise from the fireworks that are illegal in most other towns, was deafening.

Vodka Bob comes by every few days or so and camps out at the end of Frog's lead. Who knows what his secrets are ... which demons prompt him to live his life from one bottle to the next? Maybe during these whispered conversations, Frog has been enlightened, but if he has ... he's not talkin'.

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Re: Vodka Bob

Intersting story, Cindi. It IS really sad. One of the many reasons that I love living in a rural area, is that, although I'm sure we have our Vodka Bob's, you don't run into them. Like you, when I see someone like that (or rather when I did see someone like that, when I lived in the suburbs) I wonder what made them get that way and I also get really depressed about them, even though there's nothing I can do about it.

We have a tennage girl, Sam, who works part time for us on our farm, and she's what I call the junior social worker of our area. If someone has troubles, Sam finds them and just has to make it right. It's one of the many reasons my wife and I love that kid. Right now we have a guy that Sam brought to us who's working for us. He's been to prison for getting involved with drugs, and now he's trying to turn his life around, as he's now married with a 2 year old kid, to boot. But he can't get a job, because of his record. Sam found him, and brought him by one day, and now he works for us part time, and I'm trying to teach him farming as a vocation for him. I think farmers are more forgiving, and he may have a better chance to make a living if he learns farm work. When it gets warmer, Sam and I will teach him how to operate a tractor, but right now he's learning livestock work.

I can only afford to give him 15 hours/week, but he feels at least he's learning a trade, and he's a very good worker. I guess I'm lucky that if we have any Vodka Bob's around here, that they stay hidden, or Sam would find them and bring them to me, and I'd have to give them some work, and right now one of Sam's rehabilatation projects is all I can handle. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

There are rumors, as there generally are about people who live drastic lifestyles, that Bob has a lot of money. I have to wonder if that's not true, becuause he does not dress like someone who invests the majority of his income on liquor, which is not cheap, at least not what he drinks. He also always has a quart-sized bottle, which also is not cheap. I have found that there are a lot of serious drinkers around here, many who ride bikes because they've lost their licenses, etc.

It's good what you're doing for that guy ... I hope he appreciates it and doesn't let you down. It's also good that the farm is doing well enough to be able to afford to hire help, even part time. Way to go, Rich.

Talk to you soon.

Rich, It is a good thing you are trying to do. It is very difficult in my area to find anyone to work part time that you'd actually want around. A friend who is building a house has trouble finding and keeping help although he pays OK and supplies lunch.

It is just hard to find anyone who will show up straight and sober and will actually work. A couple of the long term resident farmer/rancher types I know have cautioned me to be careful who I hire and suggest I run names past them to screen folks. The two problems they cite as common is people who will work for you long enough to get a couple checks to prove they are working for you and then they "injure" their back. You can't prove they haven't so you and or your insurance are going to be in for a wild ride. The other problem is theft. Thieves use the labor shortage as a way to get hired so they can case the place and get a handle on the routine and what there is to take.

As much as is practical several of my friends and I try to take turns helping each other to lessen the impact of the trustworthy labor pool. It is a sad commentary on our times but to be realistic we have to pay attention.

If you have found someone who is a wiling worker who learns the tasks in acceptable time frames it is worth a little extra effort to keep them as they are NOT easy to find. Who knows, the guy might appreciate your taking a chance on him and investing your time, money, and effort to train him to be more valuable.

Hope it works out well.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Pat, I agree that finding farm work is a challenge. I've been pretty lucky, as I stumbled into a network of local farmers who use a lot of high school FFA students. I've had very good luck with the kids who have worked for me, with only one who wasn't interested in working, and he didn't last long.

I also have a few friends who are contractors, and part time farmers. They all prefer doing work on farms, so when I need skilled work, I can call them, and they either come or send someone who is associated with them who they know is reliable.

For the most part though, for anyone who needs farm workers, getting FFA kids usually works out.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Rich, I'm really glad to hear of your success with FFA kids. I had thought of contacting the local high school shop teacher or vo-ag teacher to see if they had any juniors or seniors who they could recommend. I hadn't met any of those instructors yet but I did meet the coach (ex pro baseball player and son of a lady in my wife's Sunday school class) who is a very nice guy and thought maybe he could recommend some candidates. Teachers here are so low paid he is available to me himself.

Pat

I did hire a couple guys a couple years ago (high school seniors) who the chief of police recommended and the one was OK and the other was OK plus. They helped me with some manual labor of moving and setting 84 lb cement blocks.

"I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Sad news, Vodka Bob was found in a car (we're not sure whose) in the Cortez Kitchen parking lot this past Thursday. He died of kidney failure. We will sure miss him coming along and hollering for "pucky dog," and I imagine it will be awhile before Frog stops looking for his visits.

As it turns out, he used to play professional baseball. He was hit by a motorcylce while getting into his car on the side of the road, and it took him out of the game. He was getting (it is rumored) a check every week in the neighborhood of $1,500, and was living here, there and everywhere. The money was going to keep his daughter in college. He will be missed.