Thread: Erosion control for new construction

Erosion control for new construction

Hey guys. I had a question concerning erosion control. I wasn't sure if I should put this here or in the home building heading. But, I am just about ready to pull the permits to get my new house started. One of the forms I have to fill out is about erosion control and how I am going to protect the land from dirt/mud running off. On the form, it has four boxes that you must check one indicating the method of erosion control you will employ. One of the boxes has a larger box beside it to draw your method if you are not going to employ one of their options.

My question is can a field that is terraced (berms) be considered erosion control. I mean I thought that was what berms were for anyhow. The field is terraced with existing grass. I would think that through four terraces, I should be covered.

So what do you think? Is a terraced field erosion control?

Thanks, Bryan

Re: Erosion control for new construction

Here in Michigan, when I pulled an "erosion control permit" to put in a driveway and potential pole barn, they just wanted a dwg of the planned work and did not require anything like the fabric fence around the area. There are "temporary" and "permanent" methods of erosion control. Things like gravel fill are permanent. The fabric fences are temporary. As for your berms, can't say without looking at the site. Big questions is: will the berms prevent silt from reaching waterways and stop any erosion flows. But... since laws are different from state to state, I'd ask questions of the agency you are applying to for the permit OR you could just put them on the dwg and take a chance. Post back with the results. Good luck.

Bryan -

Check with your local building inspector, they can tell you exactly what they want to have in place.

Temporary erosion control fencing (Available at Lowes or Home Depot) will probably meet their requirements. I just finished an addition to my cabin (in Virginia) and there was an exemption to the soil erosion permit if you were not distrubing more than a certain number of square feet.

Andy

I spoke with the inspector at the Department of Natural Resources in my county. He indicated that the terraced berms with an established growth of grass on it should be fine. Of course if they come out to look at it and decide it is not, then I'll have to put up a silt fence or equivalent.

I am glad that I don't have to put up a fence (at least at this point).

Thanks for your replies.

Bryan

Paul, It is good to see that some places care about what leaves your property onto the property of others or the government. Here in the Indian Nations (AKA Oklahoma) outside of incorporated areas folks pretty much do whatever with wiring, plumbing, building, etc. There is a Department of Environmental Quality that is starting to do more than register septic systems.

I built a 3 story (including walkout basement) about 5000 sqft of conditioned space plus shop, garage, and attached storage spaces and NEVER had a single inspector of any kind ever set foot on the place. Part of the work included excavation to enable a walk out basement where natural grade prohibited it, repairing a pond dam, building a new pond by using the excavated soil to make the dam. My basement floor is 5-7 ft below the water table with no sumps or pumps and the basement has a separate septic tank with holding tank and lift pump to send the output uphill to wye into the output of the main septic tank.

None of this was inspected by anyone but the contractors and me. There were few drawings and what there were I did with a cheap house design program on a PC.

Of course I insisted on meeting or exceeding all applicable codes and I hired consulting engineers who had PE stamps and E and O insurance but so far as the Government was concerned they just wanted to measure it after the fact so they could tax me.

If someone wanted to skimp it would be easy and is done every day of the week. Your only redress is through a tort in court because the Gov is not paying attention and isn't protecting us from poor operations. Caveat emptor reigns supreme.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat,
    I've got mixed feelinga about "..Gov is not paying attention and isn't protecting us from poor operations.."

My experience with inspectors and govt agencies is this: I have had inspectors require me to do stuff that made no sense and I have also had inspectors who have noticed things that I was grateful for. I've also had inspectors that missed stuff that SHOULD have been caught. I then found the problem years down the road.

All in all, if I had my druthers, I'd go with LESS govt intrusion in my life. The number of permits I've had to pull to do simple stuff is annoying and expensive. (I've read the regulations regarding wetlands in our state and its mind-boggling. Best be careful about buying a piece of land with any mud puddles on it.) [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I just went through an external audit at work on our ISO 14001 certification which relates to environmental compliance. People would laugh at the nit-picky stuff we have to comply with. (Make sure Parts-washer cover is closed at all times, monthly inspections of paint can storage area, etc.). Yet, most polluters don't get the scrutiny we get because they fly below the radar.

I've read some of your posts describing the fact that you live in an area that was previously pumping oil and surprises appear from time to time. The same is true of any industrial site in the country. That is why a lot of companies will not buy property in an old urban area. The govt mandated cleanup and hidden environmental costs are too high. It's cheaper to go "green field" instead of "brown field".

This thread is a good example of the fact that what should not be a big deal (erosion control when building a house) must be accounted for in the minds of the homeowner.

As for building inspections, I am all in favor of inspections for places where the public will visit.

However, if a guy wants to build a cheap barn or shed that won't last a lifetime, what concern is that of the govt? I think permits should be voluntary. If I hire a contractor and I want to make sure he does things right, I could get a permit and have it inspected to make sure it passes code. (Or use PEs as you did). If I feel that I can monitor it myself (as you did), I shouldn't be required to get a permit (as in your situation). As you say, it would then be caveat emptor. But that would be my choice. Kind of like buying on Ebay. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Don't get me wrong. I think that the environment and our lives are much better off today than in the 30's and 40's when there was NO concern about the environment or how things were built. I just think the pendulum has swung too far and needs to return to a rational position.

Anyway, just had to rant.

No problem, I have felt your pain. There are numerous examples of when the system does not work but in general as a nation we are better off with a certain amount of regulation. I would hate to buy a house that was not subject to any codes and have to depend on the good intentions of a builder and his subs to make it safe, strong, and efficient.

Rent a hotel room in a fire trap with no operable fire alarms, not earthquake safe, no emergency lights with working bulbs, and so forth. No speed limits, even in school zones...

Certain chemicals available by prescription only. Poisons and hazardous substances requiring permits and such...

We need some order in our lives but my feelings run a bit conservative (not anarchist) and feel the best amount of Government intervention is the least amount of Government intervention that maintains public order and safety.

How much Gov intervention is enough without being too much is the tough question. Not all citizens are honest and true. Some of them need watching.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"