Thread: Baker Monitor Frost Free Hydrant

Baker Monitor Frost Free Hydrant

I have a greenhouse business with 9 hydrants, had 3 replaced with the baker hydrants. One in the greenhouse that has not been heated turns on by itself. After watching it closely, after temps. getting down to the 20's it freezes up a little every time pushing the handle up after several nights it is pushed up enough to turn it on.
    The first time I found the problem it had been on for a day or more and washed out under my weed matt. The landscaper came and adjusted many times and said it was draining. I cant keep my greenhouse warm for a frost free hydrant.
    Any advice?

Ruth
    Don't fear your life one day will end, fear you did nothing with it.

Re: Baker Monitor Frost Free Hydrant

Can't give much advice except that water must be getting trapped in the mechanism, probably by the handle where it would freeze due to being above the frost line. Not having ever taken one apart, I can't say where. If I were you, I'd just have them replace it. Especially if this is the only one of the 3 that's giving you the problem.

I had it replaced today, and turned the heat off in the greenhouse. It got down to 7 last night we will see tomorrow if something is not working well with the drain. When we installed it last year we put lots of gravel around the drain under ground to make sure there was sufficent drainage. I also emailed the company with the help of another member. This place is great. Thank you for taking time answering my question.

Well its been awhile and the hydrant will still freeze when greenhouse heat if off and the temp is below 20. Now that the greenhouse is full time heated I notice the first bit of water coming out of the pipe is rusty.

I don't know anything about hydrants but it seems like there is standing water at the bottom of the pipe that is not draining, it sits there long enough to become rusty.

Should the pipe fully drain or is there always a little water sitting at base of pipe?

The landscaper insists its the pressure that is making the hydrant push up on its own, but it don't do it when the heat is on. I want to dig it up and put more rocks at base of pipe with plastic over the top of drain rock to keep sand from sifting through gravel. I dont want to tick him off. He is a good friend and I don't have time to do digging myself. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Either the hydrant is not fully shutting off or the drain hole and surrounding ground is not letting it drain. Either one requires digging and inspection. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The blammy things are supposed to work under pressure. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Is it buried below the frost line?? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I put a new one in so it should be shutting off ok. Yep its a good 4 ft deep, I think thats below the frost line.

I guess I'll have him replace another hydrant and while he is here have his helper dig up the one giving me problems and work on it with him. I am so worried he will get mad at me. I know he knows his stuff, its just not working. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

If it's not working it's got to be looked at to find out why! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I called this morning, he said since there is rust in the water that tells him it is draining. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

He will come replace another and I think I will have someone else dig up the other one just so I can make sure its not plugged. On the others they had a rust ball about 4 inches round with sand plugging up the hole on the outside of the drain. I have mostly sand here in my area.