Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pole garae help

Re: pole garae help

Be aware that there are many right ways to do it. (and some wrong ones that seem OK maybe) The trick is to pick one that makes sense to you (not just to the guy selling you stuff to do the job) and if it also makes sense to any advisers that you think are up on the topic then that may increase your comfort factor.

The best way is not always the most expensive and the cheapest way is frequently not the best way. You need to pick a solution that is GOOD ENOUGH for your purposes in your circumstances.

Time and money are often a trade off. If yo need to watch the budget closely then look for methods that get the job done with lowered materials cost knowing it may take a little more DIY involvement. If you can weld or have a buddy to help with welding you can save $ on the attachments to connect poles to piers. IF yo want to put in more labor and less $ and reduce welding yo can make your attachments from stock steel shapes cut with a hacksaw if you have no better cutting tools.

Sonotube isn't all that expensive but they don't give it away either. Add up the cost of using sonotube to extend piers above ground level for all your piers and the cost may surprise you.

You can make your own sonotube out of free cardboard if you don't mind a little dumpster diving (or similar) to get cardboard. Cardboard water proofed with used motor oil or similar and secured with duct tape or similar will do nicely.

You can usually trade your time in place of $ if you think about it.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: pole garae help

thanks that says it all , i really value your opinions. sounds like you have been down a few roads on this before lol. i helped a friend back in 1992 start a pole garage to make a car shop for income i come from work then stop in, keep in mine that it was new to me he had me get the ceder post to length , and he had me paint black top cellar on it about 5' all around at the bottom up. he worked in it for years but in 2004 had a stroke and cant work. he sold it it looks great but i cant see in the ground to see what shape the post are but he just put them in the ground and back filled them with the dirt that came out of the ground. maybe some day the guy that owns it now will step out shut the door and it will fall to the ground. i hope not, but thats some what of a reason why i am going to make one in the first place because of its small amount of materials compared to a stick garage . thanks again for your help mike.