Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sweet Potato

Re: Sweet Potato

Georgia Jet which is a red skinned, orange fleshed and somewhat cold tolerant.

DD, Sounds like a good choice. the red-orange are better textured than the yellow ones which are more the texture of an "Irish" potato.

Onion sets have been in the farm and ranch stores here for some weeks now. Soon gardening fever will spread around the area. Last year one of our friends who builds 30-50 houses a year got his onions in just before several inches of snow but they made it just fine. Onion sets, at least some varieties, are danged hardy.

We are due for freezing rain tonight as our roller coaster ride takes another dip in temps. We actually had an afternoon last month that hit 81F. Some trees get seriously "fooled" and bud out and sometimes sprout leaves only to lose them and have to start over.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

For onions, we use live plants, the are scheduled to be shipped the 15th of April. All 9900 of them.

I tried some purple, or red, onions one year. They didn't do too bad but don't keep well. But other than that one experiment, I always used lots of Texas 1015Y onions, and got my onion sets in the ground before the first of February. Even a freeze that kills the tops and turns them black won't stop them. I've tried both just leaving them alone, and also tried cutting the blackened part off with a pair of old scissors. The onions did just fine either way.

This year I ordered eight different varieties. Two red, five yellow and a white.

They all vary in the amount of time that they will keep, the one type of red is two to three months and the other is six to eight months. The white is about two months. The yellow will range from one month to ten months.

However, this will depend upon the storage conditions, we are still using onions that should have gone bad a long time ago, sometimes they sprout and we just cut that part out when we slice them up. However there is nothing worse than an onion gone bad unless it is a potato.

The rule is, the sweeter the onion, the shorter the storage life.

I tied my onions with string, about 6 to a bundle and hung them from nails in the shop, and yep, the 1015Ys would keep many months. We lost very few to rot, but generally used all of them by December.

You Fellars and food!! Sure know how to hurt a guy that's been living on Ice cubes and water for the past week! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Just to let you know that we just finished supper and it was pancakes and bulk deer sausage.

Just why are we living on ice cubes and water?

Egon, Good to hear from you. Won't they let you have flavored ice cubes?

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Even had the good stuff cut back! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Bummer. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

If Ida know that Id of stayed home!
    [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]