Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sweet Potato

Re: Sweet Potato

Bird you better be glad i am a 1000 miles away otherwise I would be knocking on your door about noon tomorrow. Wait a minute my sister lives there maybe I can send her for some of that soup and cornbread.

Brown sugar is good on sweet potatoes...but wait till you try it with pure maple syrup. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Bird, I'm glad I'm not hungry right now as your post would be torture! I bet cubed brisket would do chili nicely too.

My wife made some chili last month and used V-8 juice (low sodium but that is just us) instead of water. We liked it so much she did it a couple more times in the following weeks. It sort of brightens up the flavor like lemon juice does to some things but without the strong acidity.

If you ever need a recommendation as a cook, you could get a petition with lots of names on it right here on CBN. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat, I don't actually drink it very often, but have liked V-8 ever since I was just a kid, so I I keep a few cans on hand all the time, but I've never tried it for any cooking purposes. I guess I'll have to try that. We used to make chili using a variety of recipes, but got lazy and found something we like, too, so now we just use the Wick Fowler 2-alarm chili mix. Of course, it calls for a can of tomato sauce, and we use double the amount it calls for. If I use V-8 instead of water, I wonder whether I should still use some tomato sauce or not. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Guess I'll have to experiment. Did your wife use tomato sauce or did she use the V-8 for both water and tomato sauce?

Bird, I just quizzed her about it and as best she can recall she just substituted V-8 for the water and still used tomato sauce and chunked canned tomatoes.

Pat

OK, Pat. Thanks. I'll be giving that a try.

Well, we have a cool, wet day, so I started the chili pretty early this morning in the crockpot and just finished my second bowl. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] And yep, it's pretty good with V-8 juice instead of water.

Bird, Thanks for the comment. This makes my day! I thought I would never be able to offer you a simple culinary suggestion that was both new to you and you liked. It is hard to come up with something for such a seasoned cook.

I credit my wife who keeps V-8 in the frige and did it on her own.

Pat

Do they store well? I was wondering if I grew a bunch, would they sit well in a cool spot and not spoil?

A Google on sweet potato storage produced:

Sweet Potato Storage: Fresh sweet potatoes generally do not store well, except under ideal conditions, and bruised ones rapidly deteriorate. In a dry, dark, cool (55 degrees F.) place, they can last up to three to four weeks. Plan on using within one week of purchase and do not refrigerate. Cooked sweet potatoes can be stored in the refrigerator in a covered container for 4 to 5 days. To freeze, pack in an airtight container, leaving 1/2-inch headroom and store for 10 to 12 months at 0 degrees F.

And oh by the way, DD, which variety of steet tater did you order? It is the thin skinned yellowish one or the thicker skinned orangey one? I like the orange one much better, even if folks who don't know often call them yams, which they ARE NOT.

Pat