Thread: Pond aeration?

Pond aeration?

Hi all,

OK, I'm probably having a DUH moment, but there is something I don't understand about pond aeration. I've read this article, "Aeration Simplified" in the Pond Boss magazine, it was a well written, informative, and pointed out some of the benefits of different types of aeration. Fine, fish need oxygen to live, but don't they get the oxygen from the medium they're living in? In other words, if there is water, H2O, then there is also oxygen; if there were no oxygen, there would be no water! And if there is water, then the fish should be able to "breathe" the oxygen?

OK, like I said I'm probably having one of those DUH moments, but could somebody explain the error of my thinking, and in simple terms please; as you can see, I have problems with chemical terms like H2O! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Thanks

Ray

Re: Pond aeration?

In simple terms H2O is how water is structured. Two atoms of Hydrogen and one of Oxygen make a molecule of water. These two elements are chemically bonded.

What fish and other water dwelling creatures need is Oxygen DISSOLVED in the water. This dissolved oxygen can be extracted by their gills and transferred to their bloodstream for delivery to their cells. In a similar matter, CO2 is dissolved in water to make carbonated water (soda) or beer.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Ah Ha!

I KNEW I was having one of those DUH moments! Hate when that happens; especially when you just KNOW the answer is staring you right in the face! [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Thank you, Gary; now I get it, especially since you explained using beer, now that's something I can relate to...flat beer, yeech!

Also, that article I read did point out that water is a universal solvent, and now it makes sense as to what he was tryiing to get at. And, thinking about it, if the fish were taking the O from H2O there would be no water. Plus, we would have a really neat way of generating Hydrogen; if the pond didn't blow up first! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Ray

If you can get the fish to seperate the H2 from the O we'll be rich! And while you're at it, maybe they can seperate out a few of the minerals dessolved in sea water. Such as gold. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Yep,

Gonna have to talk to "Nemo" about that! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Interesting show on the History channel last nite on dams and hydroelectric power. They showed how some blades in hydoelectric turbines had holes drilled in them to inject air into the water passing by, specifically to improve the aeration of the water for the fish.

I love Pond Boss Mag! They have a great discussion forum on their site too.

Aeration is good. Extra oxygen in the water is good.
    If you do your aeration right it can stir the pond a bit and prevent eutrophocation of the deep undisturbed water. Deep pond water is often oxygen deprived and fish don't do well in it and in more extreme cases can't live in that water. Good aeration will increase a ponds productivity.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"