Thread: Visual Bird Controls

Visual Bird Controls

Has anyone used products like these? If so, can you provide a review of their effectiveness?

Sutton Ag- Visual Bird Controls
    Best Regards,
    Highsmith

Re: Visual Bird Controls

The plastic owls are common in my part of the country. I don't know whether they produce any results or whether they're just for decoration. And I know at least one commercial pecan orchard (about 800 trees) that uses several of the propane cannons to try to keep the crows out of the pecans. Again, I don't know how effective it is, and I don't recall seeing any of the other things in use.

I have used the reflective tape in a peach tree and initially it scares the birds and pretty much keeps them out of the trees at first, but they get braver as more peaches ripen and they discover that the tape will not hurt them, so I wound up putting up a 12'X12'X12' frame and netting. Only one large peach tree and I want my share. I leave the last of them for the birds after I get tired of picking them, and the wife gets tired of putting them up.

The plastic owls are a joke. My wife and I were laughing at one in town last week. Someone had it up the roof and birds were sitting on its head. Propane canons seem to work on both birds and deer also people.

What kind of loads do you put in your cannon? Bird shot for birds, buck shot for deer i can understand. But what about people? [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    No fun, change the rules!!!

I use old CDs (game and music) and hang them when it is time to scare the birds. Also to keep the starlings away from thier favorite nesting area I put a windchime with a plastic bag on the bottom so it would blow around. when the starlings are in their other favorite nesting spot we reach in with a stick and run them out where they can be grabbed (one way in) and then dispatch the little feathered wrecking machines. A .22 takes care of many birds also and we live in the middle of no-where so shooting out here is common. But the CDs work well.
    --
    A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. ~Mark Twain

Tangle foot works pretty good and you don't have to kill the birds (if you kill it eat it)

Just put it on the favored perches and the birds will be hating it.

I like the propane loudenboomers too but not where I am as disturbed as the pests.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"