Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the meaning of life?

Re: What is the meaning of life?

Hey, Ruth.
    I think you are baiting us, by posting this in the gardening section. I hope your gardening endeavors bring joy to others, as that will bring some joy to you, too.
    Highsmith mentioned our TRUE calling.
    Additionally, though, I am wondering what my permanent contribution to mankind can be. Having recently passed the half-century mark, I feel the need to do something lasting; something to change the human race for the better.
    Then I think, eh...
    OK, that's it. That's the extent of my probing thoughts for the year. I'm with Scarlett- I'll think about that tomorrow.

Well, know that you have found my mental peer (your 13 year old son) you may not want to know my thoughts as you have him at hand for that level of discourse.

I hope the series of books by Douglas Adams entertains you as it definitely did my wife and I. He wrote other things that were generally not as well accepted although Dirk Gently the Psychic Detective was some entertaining it was not the hoot that the Hitchhiker series was. If you like funny biting satire in a SciFi motif, you are in for a delightful journey. You will probably be amused by the paranoid android, sentient dolphins and their "So long and thanks for all the fish."

Now to your impossible question which is even more difficult to answer than how high is up and how long is a roll of string. Egon hinted at the root of the difficulty. Without a limited and limiting definition of life that can be agreed on by all concerned, there can be no right answers and all answers can be right.

Recall (with apologies to Monty Python) Rene Descartes was a drunken fart who said I drink therefore I am!

You might as well have asked what does the yellow light of the double D spectral line of sodium taste like or what does a major A chord look like or...

Since the question was posted in a gardening forum venue, it is appropriate to limit all attempts at answering to answers in terms of and connected with gardening. Still the solution space is infinite and there is no limit to "right" answers.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Egon, number base of 10 selected by beings with 10 fingers is not much of a leap of imagination. Had we 6 fingers on each hand things may have been different. The base 10 system won the competition but the duodecimal (dozenal) ystem gave it a run and hexadecimal is cool for computer types and even hexageismal was a contender.

Pat

It could also refer to a quiet spring lakeside fire watching hydration evening contemplating the disappearing actions of the Grebe or Loon or the Merganser and wondering why they have no interest in deposing the Black Ducks feeding on the corn float. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ There is no such think as a quiet lakeside spring evening ]

Egon

The reason for posting this in the gardening section is most people looking in the gardening section are more accepting to the question rather than someone looking in the hunting section.

Nope I am not baiting anyone, just was wondering what others thought. Lately in the news they say the younger and older people are more content.

Content can mean so much. I think we get to a point to where we are more accepting of what others do and not judge, we are just happy with where we are. I know most everyone have come from some sort of difficulty and are so grateful for just being here.

Content can also mean being happy with your bank account or new car.

In the end the meaning of life to me is to be good to others, to be understanding, to be nice, without it being required to get to heaven.... you just wanna be helpful, like you Egon and Pat I see you guys giving all kinds of help it just amazes me how much knowledge you have. And you share it with us just because.

Hope I didnt get too heavy with all this. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Hey was that movie where the "Thanks for all the fish" came from. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Don't fear your life one day will end, fear you did nothing with it.

Then of course the meaning of life may be the internal well being felt as one gives some vine ripe Brandywine tomatoes to a neighbour! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon

Yes exactly.

Ok gardening......Brandywine, my best friend Maxine is probably in her late 70's and has experimented with lots of varieties loves the Brandywine. I do grow the plants but have never tasted them, she said they need to be eaten right after picking because they get a grainie texture.

I have also had other customers say they really don't like them. Are they your favorite tomatoes too? I will grow them this year for myself just to try them. My most favorite tomatoes are Celebrity and Super Sioux and the Sweet 100.

What are your favorites?

I think I will start a new post. Tomatoes

Uh, why do you cast aspersions on hunters and assume that they are somehow less spiritual and less friendly to a question like what is the meaning of life? Stereotyping, from whatever source is an insidious divisive force, best left out of polite conversation. Assuming facts not in evidence can be extremely limiting.

Whatever the meaning of life is to any particulalr individual, prejudging helps generate and perpetuate the schism of the us and them divisiveness of which we need a lot less.

Pat

Why would you pick that out of the post? I did not mean anything bad about hunters, my husband was a wonderful man and on his headstone I put "The Mighty Hunter". I was just saying gardening was the most likely for someone to take the time and write back. Please don't make my post a prejudice slam to the hunters.

You seemed to not like me mentioning my 13 year old, I thought it was neat he would know the 42 thing and I didnt understand why he knew about it. I am so proud of him, yes he is 13 but is way above my mental capacity. I guess I shouldnt have said that either. Sorry Pat

If one picks apart anothers words one can find anything they are looking for. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Brandywine, They are very fleshy and have large tasty ugly looking fruit. One tomato is good for maybe 6 to 8 slices of bread. They also dry very well as they are fleshy. Next on the list is any other tomato that is ripe from the vine. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Seeing as these are a heirloom variety there may be different versions???? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]