Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HAY BALE SAWHORSE

HAY BALE SAWHORSE

My wife and I have been renovating an old house for some time now and cut up a lot of plywood and paneling. The biggest problem is supporting the material while cutting with a circular saw. Yesterday while covering a closet with thin chipboard cedar I took a couple of hay bales and laid the stuff on them and used them as a sacrificial saw horse. They held the material securely and all I had to do was make sure I cut to my lines. This has surely been done before but I am passing it on.

Re: HAY BALE SAWHORSE

Thank you. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Now to get some grain seeds, plant a field, harvest and bale the straw and I'm away. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Bales would make good sawhorses. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I'd like to use some to build a house but that will never happen.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I don't think I've heard of doing that before, but it certainly sounds like a good idea if you have the hay to use.

[img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Knot a bad idea! It would be a long time before you would have to change the bales, and even then you could roll them over and use the other side. Who would have thunk it! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Great idea. Don't use a cutting wheel on that metal siding or roofing, though.

The only straw bale homes I have personally seen constructed were in Mexico quite near our recreational property. The workers used bales for saw horses, probably because they were right there handy. These are the same workers who use an old car hood for mixing mortar and when through let the mortar dry, turn the hood over and smack it a few times with a hammer and it is clean and ready to go again.

A lot of us Gringos make fun of Mexicans and their building practices but since necessity is the mother of invention they invest lots of ingenuity where they don't have capital to invest.

Some of the best functioning fences I have seen are made of living cacti and ocotillo plants. They plant and water green sticks from the ocotillo or branches of the cacti and water them and a fair percentage grows giving a self maintaining fence that holds domestic animals and will stop coyote and and dogs.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Love this phrase, "invest lots of ingenuity where they don't have capital to invest." In fact if you don't mind, I'm using it today. I've put my new learned phrase on the front page of our web site. You can check it out at www.helmickpharm.50megs.com
    Oh, by the way I've used the hay bale sawhorse idea too. Hay was just sitting there while building our barn. Thought I'd put it to use. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the nice comment. I find that I have often resembled that remark about ingenuity vs $.

I'm not the HTML police or anything but be advised that the dark blue lettering on your web site (against black background) is virtually illegible and a source of eyestrain. I assume you post info to let people see it not to tease them.

Just offering an observation. It is yours and you can do what you want with it.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat, Not a tease at all. Thank you very much for the heads up! Changes on the way. Troy

Ok, changes have been made. It has a little more contrast between the lettering and background which should make it a little easier on the eyes. If you don't mind, please let me know if it helps. Again, thanks for the heads up!