Thread: Tomatoes, what is your favorite?

Tomatoes, what is your favorite?

I have a greenhouse business and have my favortie tomatoes and thought I would ask what are the favorites in your area.

I am in Idaho and my most popular plants to sell is the Celebrity, Roma, Jet Star, and my favorite cherry- SWEET 100.

I do have 45 different varieties I sell but those are the most popular. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Don't fear your life one day will end, fear you did nothing with it.

Re: Tomatoes, what is your favorite?

My favorites are any that will ripen on the vine. Brandywine are really nice, sweet 100 make for eating all day, early girl provide lots of tomatoes. And the list could go on. How about Tomatillos? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

How could I forget Early Girl. hahaha

Out of all our tomatoes I only grow maybe 2 or 4 flats of the Tomatillo. I have one fella that buys the whole seed flats from me with about 1000 or more seeds in each, and he takes them home and he his wife and daughter plant them into 6 pks. He sells them to resturants and small fruit stands.

I had a fella ask how to grow them, I have never grown them in my garden. I know the fella that buys the seed flats has to split them into 2 different plantings, he said they just stop setting after a certain time.

I have a few new tomatoes, has anyone tried these varieties they sound really good in the books.

Fourth Of July
    Sunsugar
    Sugar Plum
    Sweet Baby Girl
    and Tumbeling Tom Basket Tomato

I am hoping the Sunsugar and Sugar Plum are tasty, they are the most expensive.

We have never tried any mentioned. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

With only a little dirt there is not much room to experiment! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I had a few Sugar Plum last year, I think. As I remember, they have an orange/red color. They were not as tasty as the Sweet 100s and the vines didn't turn into as big of a bush.

For all out production, you can't beat Porters or Improved Porters, but they just don't have a lot of flavor. They keep making up 'til frost in the fall.

Indeterminate, heirloom. Buy them once and done for life! [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    No fun, change the rules!!!

For a cherry, have you tried Sungold? The sweetest tomato i have ever tasted.

We like the grape tomatoes and any hot house tomatoes. I don't care for Roma or cherry tomatoes at all. I love tomatoes though. I don't really specify what kind I want to plant, as long as they are big and juicy and then I always plant grape ones too.