Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mail Box

Re: Mail Box - culverts and government

Pat,
    Did you have to PAY for a permit from the State for your culvert and driveway? My experience with that sort of thing is that even if it's done according to the governmental unit's standards, they still want their permit money. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

I think you're right. If no one complains, they'll just look at your add-on for the mailbox area and let it go.

My PITA neighbor called the County Road Commission to complain that I didn't install a culvert when putting in my driveway. They came out and looked at it. It is obvious I don't need one. My driveway is close to being at the top of the grade for the county road. There is NO ditch on either side of the driveay entrance. There were just ruts where previous owners drove into the field off the road. BUT, my idiot neighbor will complain about every little thing I do. He called the Drain Commision on a foot bridge over the creek /drain that runs through both of our properties. The bridge was on my property when I bought it. The neighbor claimed it was his because he built it. It was a POS because it was too low in the creek and debris would back up behind it. I had planned to replace it someday, so I could take vehicles across the creek.

Anyway, he called the Drain Commission and they issued a violation notice. I tore the bridge out and built a proper culvert to their standards. They were happy, I'm happy but my neighbor is still a PITA. I'm sorry to say that I'm kind of hoping that he'll end up like your old neighbor.

The other pain is that anything I do within 500' of that drain requires a "soil & erosion permit" at $150 a pop. Ka-ching.

BTW, how much do you pay for gravel in OK? I've been using 21A crushed concrete at about $12.50/yard delivered and been pretty satisfied. It's got a lot of fines that help it pack and it's cheaper than limestone for driveways.

Re: Mail Box

Ahh You guys got mail boxes? Our mail box is 20 miles away. And I had to beg, snivel and lie to get that one.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Our mail box is 20 miles away. And I had to beg, snivel and lie to get that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds as if you're renting a box at the post office. When I first retired, we sold the house and moved into an RV, but before we decided on a mail forwarding service, and since my wife continued working another 8 months, I went to the post office to rent a box there and they didn't want to rent me one because I didn't have a permanent physical address. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: Mail Box - culverts and government

JML, I understand well what you are saying about the Gov wanting the $ but I didn't pay anything for the driveway connection to the highway and they came out to measure and mark for me before I built it and sent some dumb broad (I use the terminology accurately but never loosely) out to "inspect" after I was done. I will just modify the work to permit the rural mail carrier to have a safe place to pull completely off the pavement to service the mail box I will install.

Yeah, when I see .30 cal holes in T-posts, crimp fitting repairs to barbed wire that was shot into, or .30 cal holes in any gate I just smile and recall the feeling of relief that swept through the community when the idiot ate his pistol. It was all we could do to manage to NOT have a party. A few of the more astute took me aside and made comments about "assisted" suicide but I had an air tight iron clad bulletproof alibi for the time of the "incident."

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Bird you are correct and now it is even worse. You got to have a photo ID, physical residence and it has to be in the same Zip Code. Thats where I had problems As my house is in a different zip than Tombstone. A place called Elfrida which is 15 miles in the opposite direction and a place that I never have reason to go to. And they would not put mail to my wife in the same box untill she personally went and showed them her ID.

My sister and BIL full timed for 5 years or so in RV. What a collection of horror stories about mail. Luckily they had a friend who would let them use the friend's mail box and batch their mail for a week or two and forward.

Now they live in their new house in Wickenburg, AZ about 6 mo a year and are at Idyllwild, CA in the mountains above Palm Springs for about 6 mo a year in a private campground. They have NEVER received reliable mail service at any of the available post offices near their mountain location. They have lost countless stacks of mail and are treated badly when they try to follow up.

Pat

Pat, the Post Office was hesitant about renting me a box for that 8 months that we stayed in the same RV park while my wife was working, but after that, we used a mail forwarding service in Arlington, TX, and couldn't have been happier with it. We didn't have cell phones and Internet service back then, but it gave us a physical street address and what anyone would assume was an apartment number. Actually that number was our account number. The mail forwarding service had an "800" phone number and a local phone number, so if we needed to give someone "our phone number" we gave them that local number in Arlington. It was up to us to tell them whether we wanted all mail, first class only, first class plus periodicals, etc. I could call and give them an address or "General Delivery" at a certain post office to send the mail one time only, daily or weekly until further notice, etc. They also maintained emergency contact information and would tell no one anything about us without our permission (in our case, we just told them we didn't care who knew where we were). And we just simply never had a problem with them. They did what they said they'd do.

And this thread made me curious, since we quit using them (quit traveling) the first of 1995, so I just now looked and found the Traveler's ReMail Service, 6110 Pleasant Ridge Road, Arlington, TX, is still in business.

Egon, my citified mailbox is a bit different from your tip over mailbox. Mine definitely won't tip over without a hard push.

You definitely have a much nicer looking Mail Box! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The picture I posted is sota a tip over easy in disguise. Tip it over and the car just might remain there for a tow truck. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Bird, There are entire communities where everyones mailbox looks like yours.

I have never personally seen one that has been smashed by a bat.

Pat