[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] The paddle thing is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Fact storage and fact retrieval is what wins so many of the catetgories on Jepoardy. The rest of the stuff has to do with interpolation and so forth. I find myself good at fact retrieval and fact retention, but I absolutely, positively cannot do a word jumble, no matter how long I stare at it. If you don't know which ports are on the Caspian Sea, then no amount of massaging will help, but I'll agree that it takes more than just facts and fact retrieval. I'm fond of making skool kids aware of the crucial importance of a clock at sea. Captian Cook had twenty-some clocks aboard when he sailed. Anti-U-Boat patrol planes kept track of what would be "apparent noon" in their search area so they could be especially vigilant and hopefull bag a sub that came up to do a noon sight. Yes, I know that intelligence is a sore subject in our leveled-down, no heroes, new world, but I have always known that is IS clustered, and one of my kids is the beneficiary of some really good DNA. That child became a Harvard Professor right outa college and is packing a PhD, an Ms, a JD, and oh, yes, a BS. What is so surprising is the range and scope of her interests, from free range chickens to the health care crisis. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]