Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Plants, Having hard time pricing my product

Re: Plants, Having hard time pricing my product

Hi Bird, I found the recipe, I will put it in my recipe box for this fall. Fresh fruit for canning is so much better.

I remember my mom canning a bunch of fruit and vegies, I remember peeling peaches and being itchy after we were done. My best memories is making Root Beer!! That was so fun. We had a bottle capper and all wanted to cap those bottles. There were 8 of us and that root beer never lasted long.

I really like the huckleberry jam on pancakes warmed up, very tasty. Good on icecream but you can taste the flavor more when warmed up. Do you have huckleberries there? We have to drive a couple hours to get to the good ones.
    Don't fear your life one day will end, fear you did nothing with it.

I don't suppose I'd know a huckleberry if I saw one. I've never seen any as far as I know. I remember hearing, as a kid, that it wasn't hard to make your own root beer, but I never learned how and never made any. A fellow named Martin built up a bit of a fruit farm in oil country (Healdton, OK) in the '30s or '40s and after his death, his widow continued to live there, but let the place run down into terrible shape before my dad bought it, and we started fixing it back up. We had one walnut tree, one sorry apple tree, a big blackberry patch, three pear trees, some pecan trees, and way too many of the big red plum trees. The adjoining property had a dozen or so peach trees and the owner said he only bought the property as an investment; to help ourselves to the peaches. And of course with a big garden, chickens, milk cow, hogs, and bee hives, we produced a good portion of our own food. We also had two cellars; one was the storm cellar and also where we stored potatoes. The other one had lots of shelves where we stored the canned goods. And I made my spending money selling plums door to door, okra to the grocery stores, and pecans to the feed store.

The huckleberries are like blueberries but smaller and really full of flavor, a little tart. If you ever get a chance to try some fresh oh my they are soooooo good.

Sounds like you had a great childhood. So many people don't know what it takes to grow the food we eat, isome think it just comes from the grocery stores.

I worry about my son, I need to get him outside with me more. My daughter is a very hard worker, she will be going off to college this fall. In the last 4 years she got 2 B's and all the rest A's. I know boys need to be with a father figure to learn man stuff, I am trying but cant replace his dad. He was 6 when his dad passed away, he don't remember much about him. They used to sit in his dad's chair looking at hunting magazines all the time, I mean all the time.

We had one small cellar when I was little with jars and jars of cherries, peaches oh heck all that stuff. I loved to go hide out there. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Don't fear your life one day will end, fear you did nothing with it.