Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to farm life questions.

Re: New to farm life questions.

Well, I plan on planting and fencing off for the few animals only what I need to, and will only expand those as needed.

The thought of leasing is one of the considerations I have entertained assuming we have a large enough plot.

And I will be prepping before I ever invite critters to stay.

I will build a secure chicken coop before the chickens move in.

Fence off the garden before planting.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    that is certainly true in some places. North of Tucson

[/ QUOTE ]

Jim, this reminds me of when we were in Tucson in January, 1990. One night we went to the CCC Chuckwagon Ranch Supper and show by the Sons of the Pioneers. In the introduction that night, the MC was telling a little about the place and "real" ranches. He said they had 30 acres and in that area that would be about enough for half a cow. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Incidentally, it was a most enjoyable evening; good food and a very good show. Of course, I've been a Sons of the Pioneers fan for as long as I can remember; just wish they still had as good a bass singer as old Foghorn was.

Pat the hay is all irrigated for sure. I tried to post a google pic but can't make it work. Just to a satellite pic for Elfrida Arizona and scroll a little north. You will see all the alfalfa fields. each circle is 160 ac. I no longer have that horse. He was OK But had been raised by a young woman with no real knowledge of horses. He was terrified of cows (absurd as it is) so he went away. If we could get half the rain they get in Houston or New Orleans this place would look like the amazon.

Jim, I know what you mean regarding having the fertility and sun but needing water. There is a lot of that in the SW.

A couple hours west of me is the town of Lindsay, Oklahoma. The Washita (pronounced like wash it taw) river loops around Lindsay so you nave to cross a river bridge entering or leaving Lindsay on 3 of the 4 possibilities.

The Washita river valley bottom land is comparable in fertility to some of the Nile river valley. In parts of it you do not calculate how many acres of pasture it takes per head of cattle but instead how many head of cattle per acre.

You don't see for sale signs along these parts.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"