Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Canadian land owners on this list?

Any Canadian land owners on this list?

Just curious about the taxes and rights of land owners.

Re: Any Canadian land owners on this list?

They vary!

The taxes keep raising, the landowner rights become more restrictive. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Like Egon is saying it all depends where you live. I now live in "Halifax regional municipality". It use to be the county but since the amalgamation, the taxes went up, no extra services and I had to get rid of my chickens since there is a by-law keeping people from having them.

If you go away from the big centers (jump in your car and drive for a while) it will be much better. I am tempted to go check out where Egon live or around there for the retirement home.

Marc

I thought the Lady with three chickens caused so much fuss that "They who think they know all and control all" were going to look at chicken keeping again.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I`M ALSO IN NOVA SCOTIA BUT HOPE TO ESCAPE.
    THE MUNICIPALITY BYLAWS ARE GETTING TO THE EXTREME HERE.IN CAPE BRETON AN OLDER GENTLEMAN WAS REMOVED FROM HIS PROPERTY WHILE THE MUNICIPALITY BULLDOZED HIS PROPERTY.HE HAD A COUPLE OF SHACKS AND DERILICT VEHICLES.HE WAS HAULED AWAY BY POLICE WHILE THEY DESTROYED HIS PROPERTY.WHEN HE RETURNED ALL THAT WAS LEFT WAS A SAFE AND HIS CATS.HE LIVED IN HIS TRUCK OVER THE WINTER AND DIED.SHAME ON NOVA SCOTIA.THE GENTLEMAN HAD FARM LAND/WOOD LOT AND I THOUGHT HE WOULD BE EXEMPT FROM THIS BS. A MAN IS NO LONGER THE KING OF HIS CASTLE,BAD NEIGHBOURS CAN SEE TO THAT.THE SAME PEOPLE THAT BROUGHT ABOUT HIS DERMISE PROBABLY
    TRIED TO BUY HIS LAND.SHAMEFUL!
    HOWEVER,I THINK PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT THE CHICKENS WITHIN THE CITY WOULD HAVE A VALID COMPLAINT.IF I WORK ALL NIGHT DO I NEED A ROOSTER WAKING ME UP ALL DAY?REMEMBER NOW CITY LOTS PUT HOUSES IN CLOSE PROXIMITY.NOISE BYLAWS ARE GENERALLY BENIFICIAL TO EVERYONE. PEOPLE WOULDN`T CHOOSE TO LIVE NEXT TO A KENNEL,DAY CARE OR SCHOOL IF THEY PLANNED ON SLEEPING.I LIVED NEAR A SCHOOL ONCE AND THEIR BUZZER WENT OFF AT NIGHT.WOULD I HAVE TO TIE UP MY CAT IF I HAD CHICKENS NEXT DOOR?WHAT ABOUT RAT PROBLEMS?RULES ARE THERE FOR A REASON AND I CAN`T SEE THE AVERAGE HOME OWNER FIGHT TO SAVE THE CHICKENS.

CORDWOODGUY
    PS: I CONTACTED HABITAT FOR HUMANITY TO TRY AND HELP THIS GUY OUT BUT THEY ONLY OPERATE WITHIN HRM.
    THE HIGHEST COST FOR LAND AND TAXES IN THE PROVINCE.! LETS HELP THE NEEDY MOVE UP TOWN...DAH!

Got any details, facts to go with the story? Newspaper articles?

Egon. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

ERGON....IT WAS ON THE FRONT PAGE OF THE CHRONICLE HERALD/MAIL STAR.....ABOUT 1 YEAR AGO I BELIEVE.DON`T YOU GET THE PAPER?
    THE ARTICLE ABOUT HIM DYING WAS IN THE PAPER THE NEXT SPRING.

CORDWOODGUY

I have 3.5 acres in a "green" zone (agricultural). No business other than farming allowed, no subdividing, number of dwellings limited to those that already exist. If a dwelling is eliminated, you have 1 year to rebuild, otherwise you lose the right to have that dwelling. Taxes are ~$700 per year.

Nope, I don't get the paper! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon I'm with you. The silly paper keeps trying to give em to me for free and can't understand why I don't want the silly thing. Although an occasional one makes good lining for the parrot cage.