Thread: building a fire tower

building a fire tower

I would like to build something like a fire tower, not to watch for fires, but to be able to look out over the tops of the trees, and to have a "pout place." Does anyone know of a source for plans?

Re: building a fire tower

Try contacting USFS (U.S. Forest Service) and/or Bureau of Land Management. I would assume this project would be costly and may require a variance or zoning exception for your area. Not sure where you are, but many areas have height restrictions on structures. You can also google tower structures and find something that may work nicely for you. Good luck.

I've been toying with the idea of a small "tower". Someplace from which to watch the birds and wildlife. My thoughts have ranged from a treated lumber derrick-like structure, to a hunting blind sort of building set atop utility poles. Everything would take some engineering, and would not be easily constructed by Mrs. Jazz and myself. Then there's the matter of a ladder to get up there. If using poles, we could climb "pole steps" but that is tricky when they are wet, and I wonder how old I get before I say it's not worth the risk. There is an old sign bridge near the interstate, no longer in use. If I knew who to contact, and could buy that... I could tip it on end, set it in some concrete- wow, what a tower that would make.

Utility pole and an electric winch! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Or a remote surveillance device set on the pole and you can sit in the shade and watch in comfort! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

For a good FIRE TOWER set the central post and then start piling long poles around it and around it. Use some diesel soaked sawdust to start the fire! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]