Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plastic feed bags

Plastic feed bags

Does anyone have any ideas on re-use of feed bags? There's no recycling in my area and I don't want to burn or place them in a landfill.

Re: Plastic feed bags

You can only carry recycling so far, and feed bags are one of those "only re-usable once" items, in my opinion. I always used them as trash bags. Once they were empty I filled them up with other trash, often yard debris, and put them out for pick up.

All my feed bags are double layered paper. I reuse them, filling them with bulk feed in advance for convenient use later.

Wally world has a recycle bin for used plastic shopping bags. They don't reuse the used bags but do recycle the plastic to make new bags. Turn them in there.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I do remember when my Aunts made dresses out of feed bags. And I had to be told thats what they were. I didn't think they looked that bad myself. Somehow it don't seem that long ago. cheers

hello jdwill100, roho here. I get my feed in a woven plastic bag that I haven't found much recycle use for, so when I get town/city folks that want manure, I sack it up in those bags(bout 30 lbs each) & they can haul them off that way & I did send a dozen or so to granddaughters school for sack races. She wanted ole burlap sacs but I haven't seen any in years! I know this will be a unpopluar ideal but I hear they really help burn piles catch up & burn! Now I hear if YOU ever get that plastic burning, it really gets burning HOT... Now I wouldn't do anything like that myself! yeah RIGHT!

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I do remember when my Aunts made dresses out of feed bags.

[/ QUOTE ]

The cloth feed bags used to come in a variety of colors and patterns. There were times when one of us boys was due a new shirt, or one of the girls was due a new dress, and that kid went to the feed store with dad to pick out the one he/she wanted. My mother made our shirts, as well as her own and the girls' dresses. I still remember the first time I went in a store and bought a shirt; I was 15 years old at the time.

That does sound familiar Bird only I recall flour sacks as we did not buy feed. How times change. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon, the best I can remember, the flour sacks came only in white. So those were used to make dish towels (or cup towels or whatever you call the towels you dried the dishes with), we also used them to strain the milk from the bucket into the crocks to go in the refrigerator. And of course some were used as the backing (or bottom side) of quilts that we made, and they could be made into pillow cases. And I was grown before I learned that you could buy flour in something less than a 25# bag. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Flour bags were mostly in white. And yes I recall many of the other uses made of them.

There was little waste in those days and piles of recyclable garbage would have been laughed at. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Well, yes but... Feed bags and flour sacks were made with patterns on them just so the material could be reused. A different era. Use it up, wear it out, make do... Throw it away was last option.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"