I need to go back in time a little here. When I was little my mom baked canned yams with marshmallows on top, I never did like them. About a week ago she made some for a dinner and thought the last time I tried them I was about 8 so I tried them again. Still didn't like them, too mushy.

I learned to make sweet potatoes with sweetened condensed milk on bottom, slice the sweet potatoes and and make layers of sugar,cinnamon,salt, sweet potatoes and on top butter. It is pretty good out of oven but the next day oh all those flavors soak into the potatoes, ummmmmm good.

My favorite squash is butternut. I had one left in the pantry and decided to make a experiment. I usually just slice in half and scrape the seeds out bake, then serve with only brown sugar and butter. Well I thought about my sweet potatoes and decided to put sweetened condensed milk on bottom and brown sugar sprinkled on top. I had read someone suggested putting cumin on the sweet potatoes, so a little of that went on top. Its baking now we will see in a half hour or so, I microwaved it for about 15 minutes before baking.

I have never heard of peeling a butternut squash and also tried that, well... it was different. I am now 41 and peeled my first butternut squash. hahaha

Any suggestions on othere ways to prepare the butternut squash, it is my favorite for making squash pie.

Ruth