Thread: Hardy breeds / crosses for the winter

Hardy breeds / crosses for the winter

We have a small hobby equestrian farm and were thinking about adding a couple of stocker calves to the mix this spring or fall to raise for the freezer.

Most of our horses winter outside. Our facilities include a sizable three sided pole barn that provides shelter from the weather.

We would like to get a couple of stocker steer calves that could fit in with the horses, probably polled to avoid an accident, and that could winter outside as well. The weather can get cold here. Most of the winter it is not much colder than -10 or -15 degrees C but the odd time it can get a bit colder than that. The horses seem to do fine with the ability to get out of the weather in the pole barn when necessary.

We are also very much beginners at cattle so a breed / cross that is easy to handle is preferred.

I really like Highlands but the long horns rule them out unfortunately.

Any suggestions for what breeds or crosses we should or should not consider ? I would much appreciate your thoughts.

Re: Hardy breeds / crosses for the winter

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I really like Highlands but the long horns rule them out unfortunately.

[/ QUOTE ]

They can be dehorned. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

From many years ago the main breed es were Short horn[white face], Hereford or Angus. These breeds all survived Alberta winters quite well.

Since that time they have been cross bred with some other cattle like Charolais for larger calves. These breeds also winter well.

Just look around and see what is prevalent in your area. Male dairy cattle may be available at much lower cost???

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon - you are quite right in that all these breeds probably wintered well once upon a time. It just seems to me that everyone seems to have their cattle in the barn in the winter time.... so I don't know over the generations if many of these traditional beef breeds have lost their wintering ability.

Chances are you are right and they will probably do fine.

Please note my experiences are from a different climate that usually did not include wet weather during cold season. This may make a big difference.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon is correct that baby bulls (easily converted to steer model) are cheap in the dairy breeds such as Holstein. Big milk herd operations used to give them away and they are still available pretty inexpensively. There is a serious downside though. Holstein calves will drop dead if you give them a stern glance and may even if you don't.

I'd look around to see who is raising what sans indoor comfort in youir area or farther north and get something like that. Horns are not a problem as they can be sawed off easily enough and will not grow back appreciably prior to slaughter.

I have two heifers with horns. We sawed them off when they were about 6 months old. One just has little nubs as she approaches 2 yrs and the other has some malformed horns growing crooked but of course very blunt and not dangerous to other animals or humans.Later after the "horny" one drops her calf and goes through the chute for her shots and such we will cut her horns back again. It isn't all that difficult. We use a "wire saw" and it just takes a minute. If you don't cut too close there is no bleeding.

If you really don't want any horns at all have a vet dehorn them with special appliance and cauterize the wound. Hair will cover the site soon and leave little or no evidence of horns. Of course buying polled stock is also a simple option.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

We have raised many beef animals, from beef breeds to dairy bull calves. Almost any of them will be fine with a simple 3 sided lean to with the open side facing south. We have severe winters with temps down to -30C and over 100" of snowfall. That being said I like my Galloway's and Galloway cross the best. While the other breeds tend to stay in the shed, hay, water circle the galloways wade all over the pasture. They are very hardy, Gain very well and turn out a superior quality carcass in the same amount of time as other breeds. I have never raised them but what I have studied indicates Highlands are very hardy but they don't finish as quickly as most other breeds, typically 3 years compared to 2 for a dairy breed, and beef breeds as little as 18 months. I try to do my Galloways at 20 to 24 months.

Highlander calves are good for butcher about 2-3 years...longer than other breeds. About the time they start looking real tasty the horns are only about 6" -1' long and not that intimidating. The care they get will more determine how their demeanor is. A windbreak is pretty much all they need. If they do not like the lower quality hay you are giving them and start resting in it, just pile it back up again and they will rego thru it and take out what is edible, so they are pretty thrifty as well. Any of the critters we get steak and burger from can hurt you. Horns or not. Holstein bulls have a history of it. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
    No fun, change the rules!!!

I would not even consider keeping a bull of any breed for beef, unless you are intending to breed with it.

Actually have had MUCH more trouble with cows with calves (the dog saved me). Besides the boys seem to settle a bit after the removal of a couple of unnecessary organs and should anyway or once they 'come of age' the meat can have an off flavor.

Your message of course could be taken a totally different (and personally i think ) wonderfully funny!! [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
    No fun, change the rules!!!