Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Cyclonic dust collection

Re: Cyclonic dust collection

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Pat, when I first went to work outa college, the company I worked for still had a few of their very old engineering drawings on LINEN. We made all of our blueprints and brownlines on an OZALID machine using ammonia. How times have changed! IMAGINE drawing your stuff on LINEN with pen and ink. We used to place a sheet of the transparency paper on the drawing table, tape it down, and then draw the border using the drafting machine (that's the attached arm dohicky) and when the dwg was all done you trimmed it on that line to get the perfectly square sheet. I had all of the quipment in my drawing tool set to do pen and ink, but never actually used it.....thank goodness. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Of course i took mechanical drawing in skool, but in the real world, engineers didn't do their own drafting. We just came up with the concept and got it on paper and worked out the detailed dimensions and then a regular draftsman did the permanent drawing. It was a matter of conserving our so-called valuable engineering time for the technical stuff. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    We just came up with the concept

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave, we once had a police chief whose favorite buzz words were "meaingful innovative concepts". Now I never did figure out for sure what that word "meaningful" meant, so I never knew which innovative concepts were "meaningful" and which were not. But I did know that "innovative" meant "new" or "different" and that a "concept" is a half baked idea that ain't been thought out. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] And during that chief's tenure we sure had an ample supply of those. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Before the yuppies began using the phrase: "Think outside the box." I used to call that kind of thing: "Cutting my brain loose and letting it float." That's where you vigorously resist allowing yourself to think in terms of what has been done, and search for that entirely new soultion or idea. INNOVATION is thinking up something that is innovative..... as in novel...... as in clever......as in.......well, innovative. There HAVE been times when I have dreamed up something that was so darn good that I had to just shake my head. My personal rule was that if I had not dreamed up and rejected at least five versions of the new idea, I probably didn't have the right one. There is nothing quite like sitting at your drawing board watching the wastebasket fill up with crumpled yellow paper and knowing that you would soon be begging the project development committee for more money so you could keep crumbpling paper until you got the big breakthrough. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Of all the inventions that I have seen, the one which sticks in my head as being the most novel, the most innovative and the most perfect in terms of the origianl concept is something that you will no doubt be familiar with......the cotton gin. The cotton gin is basically unchanged; only motorized. it was mechanical perfection from the get-go. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Linen and ink. Lovely material. At one location where I worked all the drawings were on linen.

Did you have to use the nibbed pens like I did?

I never used a T square as we did not have quite proper tables. Triangles and a base reference line worked quite well.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Dave, I'm all in favor of innovative concepts as long as you don't try to put them into practice before they've been thought out past the "concept" stage. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] The drawing-on-linen age was over by the time I got to the corporate world....thank goodness, and when I got my first job all the tables had the side-arm drawing machines. of course I never had one at home and coninued to wear out two K&amp;E t-squares of different sizes and a dozen different triangles. I have two different portable drawing tables here in the office. I don't know what a nibbed pen is? [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
    CJDave

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] You got that right, Bird. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Here is something that I have learned in just-a-wisker-under-sixty-five-years: "No matter WHO dreams it up, not ALL ideas are GOOD ideas." [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] When I was just beginning as a design engineer, my boss's boss would often rush out with something he had dreamed up and want me to develop it further. Instead of jumping all over what was in my view a hair-brained idea, I would just give him the usual "Uh-huh,...OOOO yeah, Um Hmmmm.." And then I would let it just sit there; occasionally adding a pencil mark or an arrow just for effect; then as sure as the sun came up the next morning, he would rush out with yet another variation that made the first one meaningless. I saved myself a LOT of work that way. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Bird, I have had as many as three draftsmen working for me at a time trying to document with drawings what I was designing and building when working on an Army contract for Ft. Irwin (the Army's National Training Center between Barstow and death Valley) The head of the drafting department was not at all happy that I had my own guys not under him but he was too old fashioned. He wanted the design documented 7 ways from sundown on paper and then built to the drawings. I designed and built things and then the draftsmen documented the finished product, sometimes still measureing when stuff was being loaded for trucking to the fort. I learned great respect for the skills and abilities of good draftsmen who sometimes contributed to the mechanical layout of my designs.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I've smelled ammonia from drawing duplication but I don't think there was linen involved.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] The Ozalid machine made blue and brown prints on regular paper as well as linen. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] The ammonia was great for clearing the heads of workers who were kind of in a fog after a hard night of boozing it up. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave