Thread: PET or Livestock?

PET or Livestock?

I don't know if this should be in LiveStock or Pets but here it is! Was offered a Aust Shepherd that has no training but lives around cattle &amp; 2 ASC(healers)... They run loose &amp; wild &amp; wonder the woods at nite! Anyway I'd like to take her &amp; train her for moving bucking bulls out of feeder pens after they have eaten! Does anyone know a web site thats got training instruction on it! I googled it but came up MT! <font color="blue"> </font color>

Re: PET or Livestock?

I have only been around a few cattle dogs and they were trained before they were fully adult. In one case the old dog taught the puppy everything needed with no human intervention.

To start out with a potentially problem dog, and try to train it to handle bulls might be a hand full. Not saying it can't be done or you can't do it but if it were my task I'd be looking for a real pro who could advise me and work with the dog at least once and maybe more to evaluate it. Yup, I'd pay a pro to evaluate the dog and suggest a training regimen for me to use with the dog and then get additional help along the way if needed (it might not be.)

If you really care much about the results you might want to avoid the brute force and awkwardness approach as it is not a simple task. A friend who has been training his cattle dog has been at it well over a year and just now starting to get some decent results. Aussie shepherd and healer mix. Dog loves to get with the program but is too enthusiastic and is often too much help but if you exclude him he will never learn so the time it costs taking longer and having to deal with the dog is an investment we hope will eventually provide a decent return. I give it a 60-75 % chance with this particular animal. I hope he works out as I know the retirement/retraining plan of the owner.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Well Pat it seems like YOU may have met this certain dog, she's shy, as I've read many of the breed are but she trys to get bulls out of pen! Bulls are pretty much trained to exit w/o much trouble but it would be nice on my ole body to send out dog &amp; not have to wade throu so much mud.. Trainer would be nice but I think I'll run her by the vet 1st if I decide to take her.. Thanks for info

Roho, Best of luck with your dog. A good working cattle dog is truly a prize.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Roho -

You have pinned the personality and traits of a cattle dog really well. They tend to be shy, even withdrawn. They can be very stubborn and don't particularly care for strangers as even a very well behaved cattle dog has been known to nip at a stranger and then run like heck and go hide, only coming out once the stranger has left. With all that said, cattle dogs have a VERY strong herding instinct. I have no doubt that the dog will herd, even without encouragement. The question is if the dog will do it how YOU want it done. I think there is hope though, but the dog will need plenty of time to get used to you and view you as the alpha "dog".

Honestly, the best way to "train" a cattle dog is to use a top performing cattle dog as a mentor. If the dog is to be trained this is how to do it. Tether the dog in view of the cattle and have the TRAINED dog go to work. Allow the untrained dog to watch. You'll notice the untrained dog monitoring every movement, almost as if it is studying the dog's methods. After a few days of this, assuming the two dogs are properly acquainted, allow the untrained dog to participate. It will likely pattern itself after the other dog. However, the trained dog may take offense to this at first and you may need to step in to prevent an altercation. After a few days of this, the "untrained" dog should be somewhat versed in herding methods. The rest will then be up to you.

Yeah, I don't own the dog but have been feeding her &amp; talking to her everyday for a while &amp; she seems to respond to me &amp; TODAY I sent her out to move the bulls from round bail hay to exit gate &amp; she did a pretty good job! I'm sure if I knew proper termology &amp; signals(voice &amp; hand signal) she'd do much better! It kept me from wading throu mud for the 1st time! She's kinda on her own on this farm with a couple of ACD(healers) bullying her all the time but when I sho up she stays with me till I leave! Thanks for info!

If the only thing that you are going to use her for is moving bulls from the pen, she will catch on quickly just watching you. I had to put my AS down a few years ago and it nearly killed my dad and I. We had no cows, but my cousin did and kept them on our land. He quit using his dogs and would use her to help him round up strays or whatever. She had no formal training whatsoever. Training is definitely a plus, but Australian Shepherds seem to be born with the innate ability to move cattle. Much like beavers do not have to attend engineering school to build dams. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    You ARE a redneck if... you knew someone whose last words were "Hey y'all, watch this!"