Thread: Took a day off to take my nephew fishing

Took a day off to take my nephew fishing

I took last Thursday off to take my nephew out to our 12 acre private "lake" on the farm. We were lucky to get some excellent weather, though the wind was a bit strong and made it a bit of a chore to keep the boat headed in the right direction.

We caught a bunch of bass. No trophies, but they were a lot of fun. This was the first time this year they've really been hitting. The picture is of my nephew with a nice little bass he had just hauled in.

It was a lot of fun.

Re: Took a day off to take my nephew fishing

... and here's a pic of me holding one of the little guys I caught.

That always makes a nice day for the adults and kids alike.

Nice pix. Looks like it finally stopped raining in Missouri.

Yes it FINALLY stopped raining. I've had water screaming through the spill pipe for the last 3 weeks non-stop. Usually the water would be fairly clear this time of year, but due to all the rain it's kept pretty cloudy.

Great outing. It seems such a simple thing but it supplies memories for the boy who will remember things like this his whole life.

About a week ago I tossed some floating catfish food out on my catfish pond and got 2-3 nibbles. Hopefully they will be rousing themselves out of their dormancy soon. With these longer and warmer days the water should warm up sufficiently to get some action soon. In the middle of the year a handful of food hits the water and within 1-2 seconds there is a feeding frenzy (I think they sense me coming as I walk up and get ready.)

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I completely agree Pat.

And let me tell you. This kid LIVES to fish. He loves sports and plays just about every one under the sun, but fishing is his passion. His idol is bass fisherman Mike Iaconelli. A couple years ago his mother, my wife and I took him to a sports show where "Ike" was giving a presentation on fishing methods. He didn't know Ike was going to be there. We told him he could get some free stuff if he wore his Ike gear (shirt and hat). He just about fainted when he found out he was actually there. Then, to top it off, Ike talked to him and autographed his shirt after the presentation and allowed us to snap a picture of them together (pic attached). He was in heaven. So were we. It was great. One of those special moments you'll cherish forever.