Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Quick and easy

Re: Quick and easy

I am definitely a KC Masterpiece Regular type of girl. My cooking is limited to pots and pans and a croc pot.

She said the magic word... C R O C K P O T

If real fire/smoke is elliminated then the crock pot is a prime approach for anything needing slow moist heat.

We have had a few different crock pots but current one has three settings (high, low, and warm) Even the low setting will very slowly boil. All the high can do is initially heat up faster and boil off more liquid but not really cook faster. The warm setting is well above the minimum serving temp.

Maybe my taster is not properly calibrated but with smoke flavored sauce or a little liquid smoke added it is almost impossible to distinguish the results from "real wood" flavor. Of course it doesn't appeal to the mighty hunter male need to start and nurture a fire but the results are good and the effort is minimal.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Aah, yes, the crockpot was a marvelous invention. We had for many years one of the early model with the non-removable stoneware. It worked fine and was still working when one of our daughters gave us a Rival model 3040 with the removable stoneware that we like better. I've never tried a brisket in it because it simply isn't big enough for a whole brisket, but for beans, soups, stews, chili, barbecued boneless "country style" ribs, and cut up chicken, it's a fine tool.

I have been trying to cut back on the amount of cooking I do for a couple of reasons: (1) I need to lose some weight, and (2) I'm gettin' lazier in my old age. However, a week from Saturday, there's going to be a little party at one of our daughter's homes, about 50 people expected (33 have already committed to being there and another 45 who have not yet responded were invited) and my wife has volunteered me to provide and cook the meats. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

"and my wife has volunteered me to provide and cook the meats."

Bird, it speaks well for your reputation that she feels free to volunteer you in such instances!

Pat

Ifn your cooking for that many Bird you just will not have time to eat. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Somebody is looking out for you! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

As you age the "Taster" degenerates. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

That may be why the good stuff from your youth now taste's in the acceptable range! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

try this with your mex food .... 1 block of velveeta, 1/2 jar of your favorite salsa, 1/2 tube of Owens hot sausage -browned (maybe get by with jimmy dean) and just a little milk to cream it out (1/4 cup) mebbe.... heat on high to get it all melted, (keep it stirred) set it at low, grab a bag of nacho chips and a beer and enjoy. I call a bag of chips, my queso, and 2 beers a meal.....sometimes followed by dessert ...another beer! [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] (jus' kidding)

Mike, that's pretty close to my favorite "dip". We crumble and brown a half pound each of ground beef and pork breakfast sausage, then put that in the crockpot with one can of Rotel tomatoes and a cut up 2# block of velveeta. Like you said, melt and stir together and it's delicious with whatever kind of chips and beverage you like.

A similar one without so much cheese.
    1 can of chili your favorite kind.
    1 4oz can of chopped green Chiles
    1 4 oz can chopped black olives
    1 8 oz package cream cheese
    chile powder to taste

add rotel tomatoes if desired and jalapeño if desired.

I made home made ice cream from scratch yesterday. I can promise you that home made ice cream made from scratch IS NOT QUICK and or EASY.

My wife wanted it, I made it. Now she is on her own for any social events like ice cream socials.

My recommendation: If you want to DIY use a mix. Get one of those makers that you put in the freezer (has blue ice in it.)

You don't need crushed ice or rock salt.

Now we have his and hers ice cream makers. I have the smaller batch blue ice easy to use type and she has the 6 quart electric that uses crushed ice and rock salt, primitive except for no crank handle.

Pat