Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Quick and easy

Re: Quick and easy

I had quit making homemade ice cream, but then one of the things my kids gave me awhile back is the ice cream maker for the KitchenAid Mixer. So besides its manual, I went and bought Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book. I haven't tried many recipes yet, but since it seems hard to find fresh peach ice cream (my favorite) I've done that a few times and it's pretty good.

Bird, Yea verily... Fresh tree ripened peaches, especially "Stratford" peaches from Stratford, Oklahoma the peach capitol of Oklahoma (and in the running for best in the universe) is some good ice cream. Also old fashioned vanilla (what I made) over fresh peach halves is not exactly punishment to eat.

The old fashioned "from scratch" recipes take way longer to make the ice cream than it does to eat it. I'm going to try to find, if not quick and easy, at least quicker and easier. There are mixes which should save some time and effort. I have little previous experience (except eating it) with making ice cream beyond cranking the handle (or listening for the motor to stop) and licking the beater. Now that I have made a 6 quart batch from scratch I have a lot more appreciation for all the time and effort invested in doing it.

It is, at present, untested by me but I hope to get good results from "MY" ice cream maker, the one with the blue ice in it that requires no crushed ice or salt. I'll report back after I have tried it. I know there is a maker that o run inside the frige but this isn't one of those. This maker has a blue ice reservoir which you can store in the freezer and in use you take it out and put it in the maker which runs on the counter or wherever.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat, there are so many recipes for making ice cream that it's almost unbelievable. The KitchenAid recipe for French Vanilla is to heat two and a half cups of half and half to almost boiling, slowly add that to 8 beaten egg yolks, cook that until almost boiling, stir in two and a half cups of whipping cream, one cup of sugar, 4 teaspoons of vanilla, and one-eigth teaspoon of salt, cover and chill thoroughly at least 8 hours, and only THEN pour it into the mixer's freezer and freeze 15 to 20 minutes. [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img]

Now there's just a few problems I see with that. First, I wonder why they used "two and a half cup" measurements since both half and half and whipping cream come in pint containers; i.e., 2 cups, or quarts. So you'll either be short a bit or waste a bunch, plus the fact that that particular quantity will probably overfill the mixer. Secondly, before I go to that much trouble, I'll just run 4 miles up the road and buy my ice cream at Braum's. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Of course I don't remember my mother's recipe, but I do know that she cooked her ice cream filling. However, none of Ben & Jerry's recipes call for cooking, and they're nearly all short and simple. Their "most popular base" is to whisk 2 large eggs, whisk in three-fourths cup of sugar, 2 cups heavy or whipping cream, and one cup of milk. And that's all. It's ready to go in the freezer.

The KitchenAid mixer/freezer is a double walled container with a liquid in between the walls, so it needs to spend some time in a deep freeze, or the freezer compartment of your refrigerator before use. And I found it works best and fastest if you do chill the completed recipe a bit before putting it in the mixer. I've found that 30 minutes to an hour in the freezer compartment of the refrigerator works pretty well.

Bird, I see your ice cream accessory has the "blue ice or equivalent" and uses no crushed ice and salt. Way handy!

The vanilla I made used 6 eggs and a half cup of flour and 6 cups of heavy whipping cream. You heat the cream, add the sugar and flour gradually and then stir continuously till thickened (how ever thick is thickened.) You then slowly pour one cup of the hot thickened mixture into the 6 beaten eggs while whisking vigorously. Next you pour the egg mixture slowly into the heated cream and sugar mixture while whisking vigorously and cook for an additional minute. This is placed in the frige to cool before continuing.

I stirred till both wrists wanted to fall off. The end results was lots of messy pans and 6 qts of really smooth ice cream and a tired cook. I retained a quart for domestic use and the rest will be taken to an ice cream social by my wife.

I will be trying simpler methods/recipes and the ice and salt free maker for future attempts.

Shortly before the ice cream hardened my wife broke up some Clark bars and put in the mix. The resulting ice cream is delightful but after eating some you can listen to your arteries harden. All that cream and eggs, WOW!

Pat

Now let the rest of us in on the secrete. Do you fellows just prepare food? If you eat how do you maintain your weight??? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Across the river well within sight lie several large grocery stores. Just thinking of the ice cream on their shelves puts 5 extra pounds on me! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I like to eat! But have to watch very carefully so I can continue to almost see my toes! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Yep, Egon, I keep thinking I'll cut back; definitely need to lose weight, but unfortunately, I'm not doing it. I'm 30-40 pounds heavier and 12" bigger around the waist than when I was working full time for a living. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Well, I'm 30 pounds heavier but only 2 inches larger on the waist.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon, loosing sight of your toes is one thing but there is another milestone to be avoided. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I am 6 ft 2 inches, I have been wearing 32x42 jeans for 20 years (been thinking I might buy some new ones [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

I weigh 250lbs +/- 5 pounds for last several years. Currently thinking I may want to cut back a bit so some mornings I have substituted a banana added to a a SlimFast shake made with skimmed milk in place of a regular breakfast. I will not necessarily lose weight doing this but it may keep me from gaining from all the overeating I seem to manage.

Pat

Pat, I always liked pants loose fitting enough to carry an assortment of stuff in the pockets, so for 20 years, for my uniform pants, I simply ordered 36 x 32 and told them to cut an inch out of the waist. I used to be about a quarter inch under 6' tall and weighed 180-190. Unfortunately, I'm now about 3/4" under 6' and weigh 222 today. I wear Dickies short sleeved coveralls almost exclusively, but I did recently buy two pair of slacks in a size of 46 x 32. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] But they are actually about an inch bigger in the waist than I'd prefer.

And since we started talking about making ice cream . . . well, I've already made one batch of the uncooked Ben & Jerry's recipe this morning and have it in the refrigerator freezer. I'd almost forgotten that I had a bunch of diced up, ripe, peaches in the freezer. And now I've cooked the filling for the KitchenAid recipe and have it chilling. I'll freeze it later today and package it for this weekend when we're supposed to go to a daughter's place for burgers and a little birthday party for our grandson. Then we'll see which one we like best.

You know, if you two fellows could get together on the waist and leg length I'd be able to borrow some pants! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]