Thread: grass seed in Texas Gulf Coast area

grass seed in Texas Gulf Coast area

I am doing some pasture renovation by removing under-brush, vines, and small trees. I am now ready to seed it. I am raising cattle. What seed do you recommend and where do I get it? I thought I would take the easy route and go to Tractor Supply and buy some pasture mix there. The only thing I saw was a mix for horses. Any recommendations?

thanks

Re: grass seed in Texas Gulf Coast area

Coastal Bermuda grass. There are lots of cultivars of Bermuda but with your rainfall you can grow just about any of them. Coastal is a good choice.

Wrangler is one version of coastal that I know. It should work well for you. I will be planting more of it this spring but not having your abundant rainfall I will not get the spectacular results you could get.

Here is some info:

http://www.tifton.uga.edu/fat/coastalbermudagrass.htm

I'm running a small cow calf operation (25 Angus on 160 acres) but slowly growing a little.

Whether anyone has mentioned it or not you are first and foremost a grass farmer and a beef rancher second. That is the reality and recognizing it and operating in accordance with the priorities that frame of mind generates will serve you well.

Best of luck to you with your grass project.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"