Thread: Security on Dairy Farms

Security on Dairy Farms

I am wondering if anyone can give me info on using CCTV Cameras in the barn for keep a watch? they are real big in the UK. <font color="blue"> </font color>

Re: Security on Dairy Farms

I couldn't possibly supply more or better information than Google.

CCTV implies a wired system but wireless systems are often simpler these days. The camera uses a low powered TV transmitter to send the signals to the monitor. Multi-camera systems can be monitored on a split screen or a polled system where each camera's signal is viewed in rotation. This is true for wired or wireless.

Motion detection is a standard feature with many systems. The video image is compared to subsequent images and if more than a user settable amount of the picture changes then that constitutes a motion detection event and that can be used to trigger an alarm, record the video of that camera, or whatever.

Many cameras can see down into the "near infrared" which allows you to use invisible (to people and most other animals) IR illumination so you get good video in what appears to be darkness. (Quite a surprise to a "bad guy" who thinks he is unobserved.)

Anyway, there is just way too much technical information in this topic to try to converse about it or deliver a series of mini-lectures via this thread. There are, no doubt, numerous professional video surveillance system installers and equipment vendors in larger cities in your area. Visit a few and chat up the chaps to see what they think would be required to meet your requirements.

Defining requirements for a project like this is best done as an iterative process with multiple cycles. It is likely that you don't know enough about what can be done to know what to ask for. Just tell them what you want to do, NOT how to do it and see what is suggested. Then with yoiur new found education yo can talk more intelligently at the second shop you visit and get another boost in your understanding of video surveillance. After yo have cycled through a fair number of shops, return to the first few to give them an update on your understanding of your requirements. You will soon converge on a system design that will either meet your budget, meet youir requirements, or if you are lucky, both.

Best of luck and don't be bashful. If there is something anyone here can help you with, just ask.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

http://www.x10.com/products4/google/...in_ps_nox.html

http://palmvid.com/content/categorie...FRImawodzl6FQg

One google for wirless security cameras got enough to make my head hurt.

The key appears to be how far do you need send the video.
    The chepees might work for 100ft but further than that looks to maybe get expensive.

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] last Friday I installed a CCTV setup in a tractor. The camera will be used to watch the back end of the corn planter so we will know how far off the mark it is drifting on land with side slope. That system came from the John Deere dealer and was 300 dollars with one camera and 395 with two. It can take up to three. It is a kind of a generic vehicle application system and as such has a changeover system that utilizes the current from backup lights and turn lamps to actuate the LH, RH, or rear camera. It has a 7" flat screen monitor. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

So, Dave, with the left or right camera turning off and on in synchrony with the turn signals, is it difficult to see what is going on during the brief flashes of video?

Does stopping to shift into reverse to look behind you bother operators?

Maybe a multi-position switch to select cameras one at a time would be practical.

OK, just kidding of course, now to a real question...

Can you see the screen in sunlight or do they assume you are in a cab, well shaded from the sun? Do you like the brightness, resolution and overall usability. $300 is not much for a good system. I could see uses for it as a trailer hitching camera as well as a rear view camera for the back end of a trailer. I can also see uses for monitoring the back of a dump trailer in operation when you are "dribbling" out gravel.

Could you post the make and model?

Pat

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I think they are supposed to be hooked to the lamp that illuminates the turn, not the turn signal [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] . The little flat screen has a sun shade that overhangs the top and the top half of each side. The resoultion is distinct, but then i was inside the shop. I'll know in a few days how it is outdoors. I'll get the make and model for you, and maybe by then I'll have read thru the instructions a few more times. This TV was the last item in what was an extensive array of add-ons, including a Dickey-John ground effects radar; a variable speed/flow diaphram pump control module; a Hall Effect flowmeter; a screen monitor to display speed, distance, and rate of liquid fertilizer application; a screen monitor to display the seed drop of all 25 buckets of the planter, .....seeds per acre and so forth; a Motorola Two-Way radio, and finally, a set of high intensity front spotlights. I had to build up a separate 50 AMP rated fused umbilical from the batteries to the new, Cole-Hersee fuse block in the tractor cab, plus I added a dust proof box outside the cab to act as a hub and a storage place for coils of extra fitted cable. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Dave. Far out dude, what is the crew complement required to man one of these things and does the crew quarters include a galley?

Pat

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Pat, that was one of the problems I had; the cockpit of this tractor is so small that there is barely enough floor space for your feet and a Little Playmate-size cooler. If you have a flesh and blood playmate riding with you, the mate has to sit on your LH side in a small space made by lowering the LH seat armrest and placing half their butt on that, and the other half on the sloping side of what would be the inner fender. It's a little too intimate if both mates are guys. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
    CJDave