Thread: Well Pressure Tanks

Well Pressure Tanks

I am contemplating whether to move my two 119 gallon pressure tanks into the garage instead of by the well out in the yard to eliminate the eyesore. Before I make this move I have a few questions for you more "well savy" people (thank you in advance). Do pressure tanks wear out? I am assuming they do as everything does eventually. What is an average life expectancy? When/if they do go bad, do they pop and release water everywhere? Should I reconsider my idea of stacking the tanks in the garage? I understand the weight issue, that would be taken into consideration with a 4 legged steel stand bolted against the wall, and strapped of course. My other idea is to bury the tanks, but I don't think they will last very long in this condition.
    Any comments or suggestions are much appreciated.

Re: Well Pressure Tanks

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Are your tanks captive air type or straight hydro-pneumatic? Yes, tanks do wear out.....rust out actually.... and life expectancy is, well, dependent on the quality of the water; anywhere from seven years to twenty-seven years. The bladder tanks are more resistant to bad water because most of them have no metal in contact with the liquid. Moving them to the garage is not a problem as long as you deal with the weight issue. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Tank failure is usually preceeded by a small leak and/or icky rust spots. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Move them and build a proper stand for stacking if you wish to do so. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

thank you both for the information.