Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pet Cat in the Country

Pet Cat in the Country

Hello,
    As I posted my intro above, I am moving out to the country onto a 17 acre wooded lot. I have a 4 year old cat that lives most of the time inside, but we do let him out (he stays in our yard). I don't want to let him outside at all once we move. It just seems unlikely that he'd find his way back. Plus, it seems like he'd have a greater chance of getting injured (there are coyotes, fox, hawks in the area) or infested with something (probably lots of deer ticks). My husband on the other hand wants to still let him out. Anyone have any facts, experiences I can use to convince him that letting him out will be a bad idea.
    Thanks.
    Nicole
    Live....Laugh....Love....Learn

Re: Pet Cat in the Country

Keep Kitty inside. He's now in another environment where he can be prey. He will have a shorter life span outside. (Maybe that's what your husband REALLY wants.) [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Oh lord. This is along the same lines as my first post. Be prepared. Pat is gonna get you. But he will make you wonder if he is really getting you or maybe not. I am new to the country too. He'll probably give you his "Disneyland" speech. I agree with JazzDad, too many no seem ems in the country. Cat will be much healthier and live longer inside.

Indoor cats just do not do well, in fact, usually don't survive long, outside, especially if they've been declawed. I'm afraid that's true even in town unless they're watched. I take care of the next door neighbor's cat when they're out of town. Day before yesterday they let the cat stay out in the backyard a good part of the day and then had to take her to the vet. The vet's not sure whether she got snake bit on one paw or if she got those two puncture wounds from the chain link fence. Anyway, she's limping around, but is expected to make a full recovery.

You will just have to keep him inside. We have 2 indoor cats right now and they want to go outside, its just too dangerous. I can't tell you it gets easier because they want to get out all the time. I'm just persistent and don't let them go.

I have had my cat for 13 years. I live in the country and I let her outside. She does not journey to far from the house. She loves to be outside but also loves her family so she stays close.

If you truly want to let the cat outside but are afraid it will take off, put it on a lease. The lady down the street from me does this with her kitty.

I don't blame you for wanting to keep kitty in once you move but be prepared to have a hard time. The cat is already used to being able to go out sometimes and it will be confused when you suddenly won't let it. It may give you a hard time behavior wise or just try to scoot out every time someone opens the door.

I take mine out on a leash. She loves the outdoors but for all the reasons mentioned already I keep her on the leash. We go for 1/2-hour to 1-hour "walks" when I have the time, almost every day. But she does scratch at the door wanting out. Luckily it's a steel door. I did let her out loose twice, but she is a wanderer and a climber so no more.
    Attachment 2412
    Ian M.
    Transferred to Nova Scotia, retired at the end of June 2009!!! And bought a tractor!!!

I would definitely recommend keeping the cat indoors unless you are out with her and even then I would use a leash. Cats are fast!

If it has always been an indoor cat, I would recommend keeping it indoors. It's never had the experience of being outside and wouldn't handle it well I would think. I think cats raised outside do fine though, we've always had cats outside. They're pretty much barn cats, they go in and out of the barn as they please and do just fine like that. Though they drag in any animal they can manage to catch.