Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: propane vs natural gas

propane vs natural gas

Which one is better to use? They have been drilling for a lot of wells in my new homesite and my house would be able to get natural gas. Currently it is set up with propane. The clincher is that I'd have to pay for the additional ng line, since the house is set more than 100 feet from the road.
    Just wonder if it would be worth the expense to have the ng line installed. IMO, it seems that propane is going to keep getting more expensive with the increase in crude oil.
    Live....Laugh....Love....Learn

Re: propane vs natural gas

I've lived in town with natural gas, in the country with propane, and full time RV living with propane. I also spent a couple of years doing gas leakage surveys for natural gas companies. Personally, I wouldn't give a nickle for the difference as far as performance is concerned; i.e., heating, cooking, etc. However, as you said, it appears propane may be going up in price faster than natural gas, and you have to be sure to have someone come at the right time to keep your propane tank filled.

As for the safety factor, I don't consider it a big deal myself, as long as you know and understand the gasses. The one big difference is that natural gas is lighter than air, will rise and usually dissipate. LPG is heavier than air and will settle and pool to some extent in low places.

For convenience, I prefer natural gas and in my part of the country, I think for financial reasons, it's preferable, but I don't know anything about prices in your area.

Safety wise there should be no difference in an enclosed area like a house.

Cost wise the NG may have a cost advantage due to lower distribution costs??? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Given the choice I'd use NG.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

For me, it comes down to cost. NG comes in via a pipe. LPG comes in via a truck, that burns fuel and has to be driven by someone collecting a paycheck.

Somewhere back down the line both may come via pipeline. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Also remember back at the beginning of the NG pipeline there is a compressor with all the associated costs including napping operators when all goes well! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Prices of propane track natural gas prices fairly well when propane is purchased in larger quantities. The only folks I know with a big lopsided advantage are the folks who get free natural gas from a producing gas well. They have gas fired refrigeration, gas mantle yard lights, gas everything that gas will run.

Unless there is quite an anomaly in pricing I suspect it will take quite a while for the savings in gas to pay for much plumbing.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Natual gas, as distributed by a gas company, is a mixture of propane and butane. It is usually measured in "therms," or the amount of gas required to make 100,000 BTU's of heat.

The reason for the therm is that the ratio of propane to butane is changed depending upon temperature. Butane has a higher BTU rating than propane, but it liquifies at about 40F, meaning it cannot be transported by pipeline in low temperatures. In order to get around this problem, the gas company will add propane to the butane.

So, in the winter time, you are getting a mixture with more propane, meaning you have to use more cubic feet of gas than if you were using only butane - hence, the therm is the equalizer as they are selling you an amount of heat and not a delivery of a measured amount of gas (cubic feet).

Delivered propane is a lower BTU heat source - but the liquid will change to a gas at low temperatures so you will always have heat.

Either gas source will work with any type of gas appliance you just have to change the orfice in the appliance to account for the higher pressure of natural gas or lower pressure of propane.

<font color="red"> </font color> Natual gas, as distributed by a gas company, is a mixture of propane and butane. It is usually measured in "therms," <font color="red"> </font color>

Not so; they are three entirely differewnt products! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Not where I come from. I've discussed this at length with the local gas company, Public Service Company of New Mexico, when I tried to figure out my gas bill and how they arrived at the final billing amount - and how therms could vary radically at different times of year - even with the heating system off. (My house gets a lot of solar gain and I really don't need the heating system on until usually mid-November).

They also charge a "transmission fee" based on the number of cubic feet of gas delivered + a "maintenance fee."

Natural gas - delivered in New Mexico, and purchased by PNM from a variety of sources, is a mixture of butane and propane.

If that is the case I surely hope you do not have methane jets in your appliances! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]